study advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicinehopeful

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all...
i am asking for advice on how you studied for the step 1 during year 2. i understand this is a little early to think about it (at least some people may think so). but i just think that it'll be overwhelming to study for year 2 stuff and review year 1 at the same time. all, my school is pbl where we have group cases and individual cases which we have to present. so stuff like that takes time. i'm also one of those that is a slow reader. usually, taking notes helps me, but i'm starting to wonder if i'll have time to do all this. any advice will be very helpful. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I spent all of 2nd year just working on doing as well as I could in my 2nd year classes. I didn't touch a boards review resource until 2nd year was over (unless you count Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple which I read cover-to-cover during ID, but that wasn't with the boards in mind ;) ) Anyway, when I did start studying for step 1 I found that the work I did for my classes was boards review, and when I took the test I think I was drawing more from knowledge I gained in class than anything else. The boards studying was just to remind myself what I had learned the past two years. Anyway, that's my advice and I was happy with the results, I got my scores back today and got a 264/99. good luck and enjoy 2nd year, you'll learn a lot.

read Robbins Path (I read Basic Pathology, the so-called "Baby Robbins") and annotate BRS Path with details from it. Also, annotate BRS path with clinical details (e.g. symptoms, signs, labs, etc.) that you learn during the year. Also, make sure you understand the relevant section in First Aid before every test. I think this was pretty helpful for me when it was time to study in May

Catalyst said:
read Robbins Path (I read Basic Pathology, the so-called "Baby Robbins") and annotate BRS Path with details from it. Also, annotate BRS path with clinical details (e.g. symptoms, signs, labs, etc.) that you learn during the year. Also, make sure you understand the relevant section in First Aid before every test. I think this was pretty helpful for me when it was time to study in May
Quick question - which is baby robbins? the one called basic pathology or the pocket companion? Some keep calling one the "intermediate" one and the other the "fetal" one......which one is it??