Study and PCAT Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So, I started undergrad and just finished my first week of classes. Everything is going pretty smoothly so far. However I had a question about my study habits. So, what I seem to enjoy the most is just reading the information in the book for a class prior to lecture, taking notes during lecture, and then re reading or skimming through and writing all the key terms or anything supplemental to the lecture with my lecture notes. I find taking notes while I am reading otherwise to be really "cumbersome" I guess. Do you guys think this would be a good way to study during undergrad? I take my first quizzes next week so I guess I will see if it is or not, haha.

Also, when should I start studying for the PCAT? The way my classes are set up I'll be taking Org 1 and 2 next year in the fall and spring, respectively. I will be applying ED to my school's pharmacy school through our advantage program, but I want to take the PCAT in order to apply to some fallback schools. Any recommended material for the PCAT? I have the Barron's book.

Thanks for any help!

Dd3

Members don't see this ad.

So, I started undergrad and just finished my first week of classes. Everything is going pretty smoothly so far. However I had a question about my study habits. So, what I seem to enjoy the most is just reading the information in the book for a class prior to lecture, taking notes during lecture, and then re reading or skimming through and writing all the key terms or anything supplemental to the lecture with my lecture notes. I find taking notes while I am reading otherwise to be really "cumbersome" I guess. Do you guys think this would be a good way to study during undergrad? I take my first quizzes next week so I guess I will see if it is or not, haha.
Sounds like a solid plan to me! College is the time when, if you haven't already, you find the study method that works best for you. If that means having a plan like yours, great. If that means making flash cards or Quizlets for all the things, do it. You do you.
Also, when should I start studying for the PCAT? The way my classes are set up I'll be taking Org 1 and 2 next year in the fall and spring, respectively. I will be applying ED to my school's pharmacy school through our advantage program, but I want to take the PCAT in order to apply to some fallback schools. Any recommended material for the PCAT? I have the Barron's book.
At minimum, you should have taken your intro biology and chemistry classes, as well as 1-2 semesters each of calculus, orgo, and A&P. One rule of thumb is to take the PCAT the summer before you plan to apply to pharmacy school, though this doesn't work so good if you plan to "backload" all your prereqs (i.e. take most of them in the year before you matriculate).

In my experience - staying ahead of your lectures makes it easier during the lecture - always come to class prepared.. use a voice recorder for your classes and listen to the lectures when going over your notes.. remember that for each credit hour the course is worth - you’re “expected” to spend 3 to 5 hours outside of class studying for it each week.. 3 Credit Hours = 9 to 15 your studying for that class...

When you get into your science course — try to always stay ahead - especially in organic..

The easy “filler” classes don’t require much - just make sure you don’t “slack” off on those because they’re usually your GPA Boosters..

When it comes to taking the PCAT - I wouldn’t take it before you have at least Organic 1 - I would probably schedule your first test sometime in the spring while taking organic 2 - if you don’t do so well, take it again after organic 2.. I know people that got accepted with a 20 composite score on their PCAT..

Chances are - if you’re a great student and your school offers a doctor of pharmacy program then it won’t matter that much what you make on the pcat..

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk