SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

study biology

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by RING12, Mar 23, 2007.

1. RING12

RING12 Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 13, 2006
    i want to know how should i study from schaum's bio book? should i read each page and then go through all questions at the end of the each chapter. i have studied from kaplan book,princeton book and cliffnotes biology. and i have made alot of flash cards. but iam thinking i should read this book to you but i do not know how should i start this book? it looks like it has a lot of details that i do not need for test. could any one tell me what i should do?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. busupshot83

busupshot83 S.D.N. Vet 7+ Year Member

Mar 22, 2003
    Texas
    I would use the Kaplan book to determine what you need to know. If Kaplan does not explain a specific topic clearly, then use Schaum's book as supplement. By using too many resources, you are at risk for overloading. It's similar to weightlifting: if you performed 10 exercises (3 sets of 6-10 reps) for one muscle one one day, you would hurt yourself.

4. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Jan 13, 2007
    In your closet

busupshot83 is right. good analogy too, especially since I lift weights:)

5. jdmsamurai

jdmsamurai 2+ Year Member

Feb 11, 2007
    i think taking a physiology course will help alot...from the looks of it taking these courses will help explain in detail better

physiology, genetics, plant biology, cell biology, intro to pyschology, and same basic bio courses.... it helped me..because i think just reading doesnt help...you need to understand how and why...

alittle off topic, but i weight lift also...its better to isolate the muscle when you weight lift...for example: one day do nothing but shoulders and backs, another day bceps/triceps/forearms, another day do chest and abs, etc....you get better results that way

6. busupshot83

Mar 22, 2003
    Texas
    Yes, you're correct. I've been lifting for 7 years now. What about you?

7. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan! 10+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yea, I had to sacrifice working out for DAT! But after the test, its back to the old ways! (thats if I do good, if not then its back to lifting bio books for 3 more months!, :laugh: )

8. poc91nc

poc91nc Banned Banned 7+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2006
    I been bodybuilding since 94 (13yrs old). Still feels like yesterday...free form aminos, glandular agents, dessicated liver tablets, sterol complex, and chromium picolinate were the hot supplements. Dorian Yates won the 94 Olympia with a torn bicep. The memories.

Bodybuilding Pop Quiz:

Why was the 1980 Mr. Olympia so controversial? Who was the rightfull winner? What broadcasting company refused to air the Olympia because they thought it was rigged?

Name three bodybuilder that defected to the WBF.

Name two bodybuilders that participated in Joe Weider Mega Mass ads.

What is Arthur Jones Famous for? Why were his ideas about lifting so hard to accept at the time?

Name two Arthur Jones disciples.

Who is the only person to ever win a Mr. Olympia undisputed?

9. busupshot83

Mar 22, 2003
    Texas
    I hear you: I've been inconsistent since the DAT got me. :p

10. ATLATLATL

ATLATLATL 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007
    hmmm well just try to get in atleast 3 days worth of cardio...ur health is indeed ur wealth guyssss=)

11. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Jan 13, 2007
    In your closet
    3 full body workouts 3 times a week for me including cardio for 20min.