study for step I during M1 summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zama

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about studying for step part 1 starting in M1 summer. This way, you can review all first year material and be at a huge advantage while reviewing the second year material.

Members don't see this ad.

For me the main disadvantage of doing this would have been that during my measly two month summer I couldn't STAND to look at anything remotely connected to first-year. There is something to be said for giving yourself a break so that when you start second-year you can come back fresh and ready to learn something. But I haven't taken the boards yet, this is just a gut reaction.

you would have to be an extraordinary jackass to attempt this. not only is 1st-year material minimally relevant to step1, but most normal people want to enjoy their summers.

p.s. whatever you review, you will have forgotten by the time step-1 rolls around.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by doc05
you would have to be an extraordinary jackass to attempt this. not only is 1st-year material minimally relevant to step1, but most normal people want to enjoy their summers.

p.s. whatever you review, you will have forgotten by the time step-1 rolls around.

Hey, be nice, the OP was just asking for constructive input, not qualitative judgments about him possibly being a "jackass" or abnormal....

-Ice

Personally, I think it would be a waste of time unless you REALLY struggled during first year and want to get a handle on things and put out fires before MS2. Step I is heavily weighted on MS2 material. The MS1 material that is on the test is integratede with some path or pharm stuff so you need to know your MS2 material too. I would suggest enjoying this summer because it will probably be the last summer break for the rest of your life.

With the unfortunate exception of Physiology, first year information is totally worth forgetting. If you do any studying/reviewing at all during your summer, read up on pathology, microbiology, pharm, etc to get a head start.

Hey, you've already endured a year's worth of that crap, why endure another two months?

Being MSII, I actually am glad I didn't study during the summer, and also think that any reviewing for the Boards I would've done during 1st semester of MSII probably wouldn't have done me much good. I started going over stuff at my own pace in January, and although I had a couple of weeks' freaking out in January, I really think if I had started doing this in September it wouldn't have been very productive.

If you were to do anything during the summer, I would say maybe reading BRS Physiology cover to cover would be helpful (saves you time reading it again during 2nd year, although it is equally as productive, if not more so, to read the corresponding sections when you cover those organ systems during MSII).

I simply don't think reviewing during the summer before MSII is particularly productive at all-- a lot of the MSI material will be rehashed in MSII anyway, and during the year while the system is being covered in class is a good time to read through the corresponding chapters of BRS Physio, BRS Path, pharm, and High Yield Anatomy (very briefly) and Embryo (briefly).

You really don't need to study for step 1 after first year. But if you're going to freak out if you don't do some kind of preparation, here is a good compromise (won't take that long, you can still enjoy your summer): get the book First Aid for Step 1. Go through the sections that are relevant to what you've already done (anatomy, embryo, physiology, biochemistry). Completely ignore the bulk of the book which relates to path, pharm, micro, etc. If you do this, it will get you familiar with what kinds of 1st year stuff you will be expected to know (it's not all that much). Highlight it or whatever, makes notes in the margins if you're into that kind of stuff. Then, if you've already looked at it once in the exact book you'll be using to study for step 1, it will be super easy to cruise through it again when you're preparing at the end. The stuff in First Aid will seem basic to you, and it is... but although right now you probably think you'll never forget the brachial plexus or krebs cycle and that if you see it you will barf, I pretty much guarantee you will have to look at it again before the test.

Under no circumstances should doing that take more than a week (more like 3-4 days). Then you can really set your mind at ease. Relax and enjoy the rest of the summer, so you're set to go when you start 2nd year.

If you do what I've recommended and you STILL can't deal with not doing work, do the same thing with the BRS series on the first year subjects. Or pick one subject in BRS you feel particularly weak in. Pretty much unnecessary, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

bpkurtz

Seriously, dont even bother studying for step 1 during ur summer... This is your last summer that u'll probably have...u better enjoy it otherwise ur gonna regret it. If you want u can do research... a few people in my class went overseas to china and other parts of asia for a couple of months...they got some work done and made it a vacation. U gotta be an anal retentive gunner if u pick up a book during ur summer and study over the summer.

Yeah, like everyone else has said, more or less...

Take the summer off and go do something fun. The only thing probably worth reviewing is BRS Physiology. Unless you're headed for some uber-competitive residency program, or you just love to shadow or do research, don't worry about signing up for medically-related. Relax and wait until your M2 summer to intern/shadow/research/etc.

Don't waste your summer studying first year material, you need to enjoy life a while (This is most likely your last summer vacation ever). Besides Second year will constantly bring up the most important concepts from first year.

Originally posted by zama
What do you guys think about studying for step part 1 starting in M1 summer. This way, you can review all first year material and be at a huge advantage while reviewing the second year material.

Most first year material won't give you all that great a boost for 2nd year subjects, but I disagree that doing some review is a total waste of time. Physiology is the main subject that I can think of that might be of benefit to review, if you are so inclined, because it intercalates itself into nearly all 2nd year subjects: lots in path (especially if your school concentrates on pathophys more than straight path), some in micro, and even pharm to some extent.

A previous poster mentioned First Aid. That books sucks donkeys for learning material the first time through, but it's money when you are reviewing material and want to pick out the "highest yield facts" for boards.

That is one negative, angry take on a pretty innocent question.

Reactions: 1 user