Study loan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sue

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just want to share experience with those imgs who got some knowledge about the US educational system........
I matched this year....and my spouse "to be " will be joining me next year......and she is a US citizen from my country.....and she got her high school diploma from "OUTSIDE" the USA and will be studying for the first year at a university in my country and then transfer her credit hours to a university or college in the USA when she will join me next year.........She is planning to join me next year and to join a college or a state university to continue her education.......
We do not know about the educational system in the USA....
We know that and , she is a US citizen, can get loans and finacial Aid that can cover her education and she can repay it after graduation......But , one of the terms to get loans was that she should have High School Diploma.....and as I mentioned her High School diploma is from " outside " the USA...does having her high school diploma from outside the USA jeoperdize her chance to get loans fro her education and she is a US citizen ????
and does the loans cover her tuitions and fees ????
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am not a professional FIO, but I have a friend who is from Mexico - she got her high school diploma from a Mexican school. She had to get her transcript sent to her U.S. university through a specialized international transcript service, and she was eligible for stafford loans. She is married to a US resident. Like I said, I don't know a lot, but I thought I would share what I know.

People can get stafford loans if they graduate high school outside the US. Pretty much anyone who is a citizen can get stafford loans. The amount for undergraduate eligiblity depends on year. Less for the first two years, and then 5500 max for the last two years. If she is considered independant from her parents (being married automatically makes her independant in the eyes of the federal government who authorized stafford loans) making her eligible for up to 5000 more unsubsidized on top of the regular amount.