Study Material for CSAO

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

optomUK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone
Does anyone of you know some good material to use for studying the CSAO exam. Please let me know what material you used such as books, notes that was helpful. I can buy them off you or you can share them with me. I live in GTA.

Also can someone tell me the format of the CSAO exam. What topic will be on, and also the clinical aspect. How I can prepare what equipment I must have.

Thanks I look forward to many response

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone
Does anyone of you know some good material to use for studying the CSAO exam. Please let me know what material you used such as books, notes that was helpful. I can buy them off you or you can share them with me. I live in GTA.

Also can someone tell me the format of the CSAO exam. What topic will be on, and also the clinical aspect. How I can prepare what equipment I must have.

Thanks I look forward to many response

You'll find all your answers on the CSAO website. As for study materials...don't bother, the exams are filled with stupid randomness it really doesn't make sense to spend much time studying. Good luck

How does it compare to the US boards?

Its the dumbest thing you will ever experience in your life. Most of the test questions are totally random weird things for the most part, and all of the disease/drug questions are pathetically easy. Gosh, now that I say that I hope I passed! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply. so jefguth, when did you take the CSAO. Did you do your optometry program in US and now come to Canada for license to practice. How did you find clinical exam?

Anyone out there have a copy of Berkeley Guide for ocular disease?

Have you tried the Berkeley guide? It's quite helpful.

Last edited:
Yes, QWOPTY99 PLEASE LET US KNOW WHERE WE CAN GET ACCESS TO THE PREP MATERIAL FOR CSAO. SINCE I DIDN'T GO TO WATERLOO, I DON'T HAVE THE CONNECTION.

WELCOME FONZIEFONZ, WILL YOU BE TAKING CSAO EXAM IN WATERLOO SOON? LET'S WORK TOGETHER GET THE MATERIAL AND ACE THE EXAM!

You'll do fine if you study. It's not that bad.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. so jefguth, when did you take the CSAO. Did you do your optometry program in US and now come to Canada for license to practice. How did you find clinical exam?

Anyone out there have a copy of Berkeley Guide for ocular disease?

Attended optometry school in the USA, sat for the CSAO exams at Waterloo. The clinical exam was straightforward, nothing out of the ordinary, very relaxed and informal compared to American boards. Although I know of people that had TERRIBLE patients in the clinical exams (i.e. didn't speak english, not even a little, c/o polyopia, etc.).