Study Medicine in a language other than English

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Noura

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I appreciate anyone's cooperation in helping me.

I will study Medicine in a language other than English (Turkish). Then I plan to work and practice medicine after graduate in US or EU. But how to be in a medical environment and deal with all the staff at hospitals using medical terminologies which I will have studied them in Turkish?

Members don't see this ad.

To practice in the U.S., you must pass the USMLE Step II-CS exam. Part of this exam is a test of your proficiency in (American) English.

United States Medical Licensing Examination | Step 2 CS (Clinical Skills)

If you struggle with the English language and are unable to communicate effectively with the standardized patients in this test, you will not pass it and will not be able to get licensed (even a training license).

The best way to surmount this is to live in and/or immerse yourself in an English-language speaking country for several months and speak only English. I work with several foreign-trained and non-native English-speaking doctors who can attest to this. If you read English-language medical journals and learn the terminology, this will not be a problem. Many medical diagnoses are Latin language based. There is more "universality" to these terminologies than you may now realize.

There are other obstacles to gaining the ability to practice in the U.S., namely immigration issues. I cannot speak to the situation in the E.U. because I am unfamiliar with it.

Best of luck.

-Skip

Last edited: