Study methods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimish

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might be an off-the-wall question, but I've read in several scientific journals that studying at night is the best way to remember the concepts since your mind still "remembers" what ever you were doing prior to sleep. In addition to this, I've read that listening to audio books while sleeping will commit most of the information to long-term memory.
First of all, any thoughts on this?
And second, what other ways do you guys use to help remember those certain topics that just won't stick in your head?

Members don't see this ad.

From my Intro to Psych elective: (1) information that you hear while you sleep has no impact on long term memory; (2) information that you hear while you sleep, slightly improves your correct rate of guessing when tested on that material later (again, slightly); (3) a memory technique used by Olympians which is as effective as practicing: visualization. At night, when you lie down, BEFORE you actually fall asleep, go over the concept from beginning to end: step by step, visualize it. Do that every night for a week and you will own it then move it to the next one (of course, that is assuming that you have only a handful of concepts that are troubling!). Good luck !

This might be an off-the-wall question, but I've read in several scientific journals that studying at night is the best way to remember the concepts since your mind still "remembers" what ever you were doing prior to sleep.

It's actually the opposite - that's why nobody remembers falling asleep. If you mean like 30 minutes prior to sleep, I can see that working, because sleep does help consolidate memory.

In addition to this, I've read that listening to audio books while sleeping will commit most of the information to long-term memory.
First of all, any thoughts on this?
And second, what other ways do you guys use to help remember those certain topics that just won't stick in your head?

That's complete BS marketing from audio book sells. In a night, we may have up to 10 dreams, but we only remember the one we were in when we wake up, and most people soon forget that one. The hippocampus (memory) is suppressed while we're sleeping so we don't confuse dreams with reality. Any auditory information you hear will enter your dreams, and then soon be forgotten (have someone wet your face while you're sleeping and then wake you up, and you'll likely have had a dream about rain or a leaking roof or taking a shower).