study plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joeDO2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello wise ones who have come before me!! I'm looking for a critique of my study plan (I have 5 months to the exam- 4 months of school and 1 month dedicated study)....

1. Read first aid x2
2. UWorld qbank with a goal of doing everything 1x through
3. Combank
4. 2 uworld self assessment exams
5. 2 NBME exams
6. Read rapid review path
7. Assorted kaplan videos for concepts I don't get along the way

the majority of this would probably be in the last month considering time constraints but aiming to at least read first aid x1 and some uworld and combank questions on the weekends

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure how your school is set up, and it sounds like you're a DO student as well. Do you need to take the COMLEX at the same time, or is there some reason for doing the combank at the same time? If you're taking only step1, then ditch combank!

Otherwise, your schedule appears sound. Please give the forum an idea of your hopes and dreams with respect to step1 score and we can give you a more accurate answer. With 5 months to go, you can go anywhere from passing to average to blowing it out of the water.

Not sure how your school is set up, and it sounds like you're a DO student as well. Do you need to take the COMLEX at the same time, or is there some reason for doing the combank at the same time? If you're taking only step1, then ditch combank!

Otherwise, your schedule appears sound. Please give the forum an idea of your hopes and dreams with respect to step1 score and we can give you a more accurate answer. With 5 months to go, you can go anywhere from passing to average to blowing it out of the water.

Thanks for your reply magillicutty. I am a DO student and therefore required to take comlex. I also get combank through the school for free. I plan on using it mostly for review of the OMM concepts/questions, not so much for basic sciences.

As far as step 1 hopes, I'm looking at EM so from what I understand reading other threads and stats I need to shoot for ~220-230

Well, if you know what you're shooting for, then I would suggest doing the uworld self assessments and a couple of the NBME tests to see where you are. I think they are fairly predictive of your score -- I got 260 and 265 on uworld SA, and 245 and 255 on NBME fairly close to my test date and ended up scoring in the 260s on the real thing.

Ditch combank..........I know it is "free", ditch it even if they offer to pay you to use it. Do uworld multiple times instead. Combank (or any other comlex based q bank) is completely unnecessary to do well on comlex, even the omt questions. Your focus needs to be on usmle prep then spend a day with savarese and you'll be set.

Last edited: