Study Starting Point for MCAT question for postbacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starias.622

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've been done with undergrad for 2 years now, and I've bee thinking that it may be time to start studying for the MCAT. I work 40 hrs/week in Research. I read that most people start off with an MCAT practice test to get a baseline score of where they are at, but if you have been out of undergrad for a few years it's a better option to do a solid 3-4 weeks of review and then take a practice test to get a baseline score. So I was curious, since I've been out for some time now, where would you all recommend I start my studying at? What topics do you all recommend I cover in the first round of studying? I am looking at a 6 month study schedule ~22-24 hrs/ week. I was premed in undergrad and took all the necessary pre-reqs, so the knowledge is in me just -you know - floating around collecting dusts at the moment haha. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Best,
Steven

Members don't see this ad.

6 months should be plenty of time! I’d say start your content review first before you do any FL. Most diagnostics deflate your score to scare you into buying their products. If you have the money, buy the Kaplan review books (everything except CARS) and start with Biochemistry. Supplement everything with KA, if you feel hazy about certain concepts (I’m sure you already forgot the pentode phosphate pathway!). Use Anki deck to memorize difficult concepts and spend about 2 months doing review and practice problems. Spend the next 6 weeks on third party FL’s to practice timing. Spend the last 10 weeks on AAMC materials exclusively. Last but not least, practice CARS everyday (Start with timing until you get to AAMC materials to really analyze your mistakes). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user