Study the summer BEFORE Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should you do the summer BEFORE pharmacy school??

• Study pre-pharmacy topics as review for pharmacy school

Votes: 11 16.2%
  • Rest and work a little so that you are well rested and ready for pharmacy school

Votes: 57 83.8%

• Total voters

collegegirl247

Accepted Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should accepted pharmacy students:

a.) study the summer before pharmacy school, covering all topics possible to prepare yourself

-or-

b.) relax and work to save a little money...pharmacy school is going to be hard, you will want to be well rested and ready for it

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Members don't see this ad.

This is a very pointless and beaten up thread.

Read the pharmacy forums and you will find out the answer.

a.) study the summer before pharmacy school, covering all topics possible to prepare yourself

-or-

b.) relax and work to save a little money...pharmacy school is going to be hard, you will want to be well rested and ready for it

You probably won't even use more than half the topics you covered in your undergrad prereqs. Sure, there are exceptions, such as anatomy and physiology, but why stress yourself at this point? No thanks. I finished my prereqs in December and haven't been in school since then...no opening of books or studying, and I intend to keep it that way until August.

Members don't see this ad :)

-or-

Why study pre-reqs??? Why don't u study classes that are Pharmacy work or find out what your curriculum req. then go from there. Meaning if you will be taking biochem then study biochem, i mean it helps to learn things ahead so u won't have to panic but at the same time give yourself time to relax and work a little. I mean why can't you do all plus you will be studying the material at your OWN pace so do that :)

Agreed. If you used half a brain with the search function, you will have found this topic discussed already on page 1 of the pharmacy forum.

well when I searched threads there has not been one with this title since 2005 so I thought I would ask...no need to be nasty....just want to make sure that I am on the right track!!

I plan on working full time so I am able to afford living expenses and work less during pharmacy school.

what does it matter??? Its not like I am asking what the dress code is again...I didn't see it, so I wanted to know...my pharmacy school and my place of employment and the interns there all suggested different things...so I wanted to get more opinions...

I notice a trend that most of the nasty people that can't be bothered on here are pharmacy students....hope I dont turn out like that...and if its such a distraction to you...why do you take the time to respond??

and if its such a distraction to you...why do you take the time to respond??
I always wonder the same thing. The search function on forums like these isn't very good anyway.

Answering your question though, all of my friends who are in pharmacy school and most of the pharmacists that I've worked with all tell me to just enjoy my summer, relax, and maybe take a vacation somewhere. From what I've been told, the first semester of pharmacy school consists of quite a bit of review. Studying won't hurt you, but I don't think you need to make it a priority this summer.

i've seen the same responses on the forums as well as when i asked the pharmacists i worked with--they all said enjoy your summer because the next 4 years are going to be tough.

i've created flashcards consisting of the top 200 prescribed drugs of 2007, their brand/generic alternatives, their use, and the general dosage. i'll be taking my time learning them whenever i'm bored/have time etc.

I'm not even working for the whole thing...I'm quitting my job and taking an entire month off before I start school! :D

The only thing I might do personally is maybe buy a set of those top 2 or 300 drug cards and start learning those.

Members don't see this ad :)
You've been on here long enough. You know this stuff happens all the time. Besides I like the added poll, keeps things simple.

Nonetheless.. Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride collegegirl.

thanks for all the great info... you guys have been really helpful!!!

Agreed. If you used half a brain with the search function, you will have found this topic discussed already on page 1 of the pharmacy forum.

its a POLL. She just wants to know what everyone is doing! I bet you're [edited] in real life. Stop picking on ppl over the internet.

But i would say take the summer off to work and relax!

I would say memorize the top 200 drugs and their uses..etc..
That's my plan!

and just so you know those 3 threads that have similar content are from 2005..just wanted some UPDATED opinions

It is so ridiculous to waste forum space complaining about somebody asking a question. So what if it was asked before, it is probably on page 250 or something! I will be working full time but I want to start reviewing A&P if for no other reason but to get myself back in the school mindset. I have been out for 3 years and studying for the PCAT is the only studying I have done since school! I may try the top drugs also because I think once you know it you know it and we probably won't want to spend time learning it in school.

a lot of people have said to "study the top 200 drugs"...do you mean just study the brand/ generic name??...or also study what it is for, and other specific information about the drugs??

thanks!

we don't even really need to know it front and back...i believe it will just make pharmacy school a tad bit easier when it comes time to learn the drugs.

i think as a prepharm...knowing the brand/generics, what it's used for, and possibly the dosages are good enough

a lot of people have said to "study the top 200 drugs"...do you mean just study the brand/ generic name??...or also study what it is for, and other specific information about the drugs??

thanks!

Personally, I wouldn't study the top 200 drugs. If you work in a pharmacy you know most of them anyway. You will get enough of it in pharmacy school. I say just take the time to enjoy a summer before they go away.
Congrats on being accepted, btw!

Personally, I wouldn't study the top 200 drugs. If you work in a pharmacy you know most of them anyway. You will get enough of it in pharmacy school. I say just take the time to enjoy a summer before they go away.
Congrats on being accepted, btw!

:D thanks!!!

Chill out.:rolleyes:

collegegirl247, I would suggest just relaxing and enjoying your summer. You'll have plenty of time to study throughout your formal pharmacy education.

I have two more easy classes to take over the summer, but other than that I plan on doing absolutely NOTHING!!! I'm going to sleep in everyday and go golfing in the arvo, plenty of time to study a little and go to classes in between. I figure I'm going to be studying non-stop for the next 3 years so why not take it easy while I can? Course, I'll probably not be able to help myself and want to study those top 200 drugs until I have them down cold :rolleyes:

and just so you know those 3 threads that have similar content are from 2005..just wanted some UPDATED opinions

UPDATED huh? Do you think pharmacy school has gone through some drastic change over last few years that opinions now will be any different than they were then? Compare your responses to the ones in those 2005 threads...exactly the same....pretty crazy lol.

Good luck in pharmacy school though. Enjoy your summer, don't stress. Just don't destroy too many brain cells.

UPDATED huh? Do you think pharmacy school has gone through some drastic change over last few years that opinions now will be any different than they were then? Compare your responses to the ones in those 2005 threads...exactly the same....pretty crazy lol.

Good luck in pharmacy school though. Enjoy your summer, don't stress. Just don't destroy too many brain cells.

ACTUALLY...if you check out another thread that is up on this forum right now ("once I am accepted its just smooth sailing right?") this post got a lot of criticism because many people were saying that the pharmacy curriculum gets more difficult every year...and hence its more difficult to pass the naplex...so yea, I would say that pharmacy school is different than 3 years ago!!!

this is the information posted on the other thread that I was talking about...enjoy...

"Is it safe to assume that once you get accepted to Pharmacy school it will be smooth sailing?"

"I'm not trying to scare you. Consider what I say as another source of information that you can shift through. Knowledge is power.

The accreditation body, state boards of pharmacy, and the NAPLEX will make it more difficult to become a pharmacist each year. These agencies want to raise standards, minimum guidelines, etc. For example, you have to do IPPE rotations now.
I like WVU's "cookie cutter" analogy, because the accreditation body will force schools to comply with their standards, which means that you will be challenged more so than someone who graduated with previous standards.

I would rather you know what to expect than to assume something based on a pharmacist's opinion who graduated four or more years ago. If you walk into pharmacy school prepared to work hard, then you will do just fine!"

What class do u learn the top 200? Do u have to learn it your first semester?

well when I searched threads there has not been one with this title since 2005 so I thought I would ask...no need to be nasty....just want to make sure that I am on the right track!!

You're wrong. Quite wrong. Look up the following threads
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=518286
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=512730
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514806

They are all asking essentially the same question as you, and they all received the same answers: Enjoy your summer, you will have lots of studying to do in the upcoming years, with a couple of people saying that you should study the top 100/200/300 drugs. Sound familiar?

And they were all started in *Gasp* April 2008!

You're wrong. Quite wrong. Look up the following threads
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=518286
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=512730
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514806

They are all asking essentially the same question as you, and they all received the same answers: Enjoy your summer, you will have lots of studying to do in the upcoming years, with a couple of people saying that you should study the top 100/200/300 drugs. Sound familiar?

And they were all started in *Gasp* April 2008!

they all asked what they should study...I asked IF I should study

anyways...who cares...if it bothers you dont answer....
:thumbup: I would suggest getting a life instead of telling people what they should post

they all asked what they should study...I asked IF I should study

anyways...who cares...if it bothers you dont answer....
:thumbup: I would suggest getting a life instead of telling people what they should post
Thanks for the insult to my person. Nicely and professionally done.

I plan on RELAXING, traveling, and working some! I just need a break before I start pharmacy school!! I don't plan on studying any drugs because having worked in a pharmacy I know a lot of the brand/generic/ uses.

REST!!! they review everything you need to know in school

thanks! good to hear...