study time for non-trads

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by MSc44, Jul 25, 2006.

1. for those who worked full time and had to study at the sametime, (who are average learners, that need to put in hard work to do good) when did you find the most time to study was it after work, b4 work, obviously weekends, did you take sunday off?

just want some varied oppinion

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Tribeca

Tribeca Senior Member

Medical Student
    i'm nocturnal, so i find it best to study at night, after work. I only workweekdays, and spend Saturday and Sunday afternoons at the library. When I really need to concentrate, I study at the library. If it's just review, I study at home. I also study at night 'cause it's easier for me to concentrate when my husband's asleep :)

4. Beau Geste

Beau Geste yah mo b there
    Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved

Resident [Any Field]
    I study in down time - evenings, between clients, weekends. I don't have a set schedule, just when I'm not in class or working or taking care of necessary household stuff.

5. NonTradMed

NonTradMed Perpetual Student

Medical Student
    I rush home everyday and cook myself something quick before settling down to study until bedtime. Obviously, weekends are studyfest. I also made sure that when I took breaks, I used that time to shot groceries, clean and prepare for dinners (so I don't have to cook that much on the weekdays). It was tough and I ended up quitting my job to focus on studying fulltime, but I think I wringed about as much productivity as my schedule permits.

Btw, I was referring to studying for MCAT. I had already gotten my courses out of the way in college, so my studying were all just review of everything I learned. No classes to attend for me.

6. phrygian

Resident [Any Field]
    After an 8-5 work day followed by night classes, I relaxed when I came home and got up an hour earlier in the morning to study. I used lunch breaks and made up note cards that I used in the car (no accidents occurred). I used the note cards a lot during MCAT time so I could take the ones I needed to work on with me anywhere so I could study if the opportunity arose. The weekends were divided between studying and the laundry... I did take some time off on the weekends from time to time to keep the wife happy and to stay sane.

7. medanthgirl

medanthgirl Senior Member

yeah, i used evenings and weekends. i still had certain rituals though, like sunday mornings were for coffee, newspaper, and cbs sunday morning (i love it, it's like visual npr). but after that i had to get crackin' at usually for 4-5 hours and then winding down again before the work week started. after work was vital too, i liked to go from work to my favorite library, otherwise i would have fallen into a vortex of evening news and snacky cakes. so far so good, i'll be starting a one year smp in the fall and i got a 32S on the mcat.

:luck:

8. if you dont mind me asking what did u use to study for the PS and verbal section, Since i work full time i want to use my time best, but get extreemly frusterated when i read a lecture over then cant do questions

bio is another story, i have a MS in it and do very well in bio and on practice bio sections, actually i look foward to doing it, it relaxes me :laugh:

PS and verbal KILL ME really!! :thumbdown:

9. Captain Fantastic

Physician

I'm only working 30 hrs/week and taking a full-load of courses, but I mainly study at home after the kids are in bed. That usually gives me a couple of hours a night to read or work problems. So far that has worked out for me.

10. obrn

obrn Member

Medical Student
    I, like just about everyone else, attempt to study for things after I get home from work. The problem that I have been having lately is that because I work 12 hr shifts, I am so tired when I get home that I can hardly keep myself awake to drive, let alone study. Then, when I have a day off, I am so sleep deprived from the work days that I end up sleeping in and missing half a day's worth of study time. I'm sure that there is a good way to go about this, but I'm not quite sure what it is...

And another question - does anyone else have trouble forcing themselves to study when everyone else the know doesn't have to anymore?

11. RxnMan

RxnMan Who, me? A doctor?
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    For about a year I worked full time and took my pre-req's at night. I had labs after lecture twice a week. These would go to about 10pm at night, after which I'd do the 30 min commute home. During this same time, I was volunteering Saturday nights in the local ED.

I would average 3-4 hours of studying at night after classes. On the evenings with labs, I'd give myself a 'vacation' and not study that night. With the time I'd spend during the day on the weekend, I'd do about 17-20 hrs a week.

12. Tell us your secret, how did you do that, are you a naturally good test taker???

In any event congrats onall that hard work

13. RxnMan

RxnMan Who, me? A doctor?
    Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    I am a good test taker, but I don't know what you mean. Maybe I'm mis-representing myself. I took classes two at a time - a chem class (I was contemplating changing majors at the time,) and Bio I, then the next semester was P. Chem and Zoology. Taking two classes at a time was doable (but there were some loooong days in there).

I also killed myself on the weekends because my sleep schedule went out the window. I had no time for a social life, but then again, when you're in the ED, the party comes to you.

And I worked in academia, (pro lab monkey,) where, as long as you get your work done, you make your own hours.