Study Tips and Tricks for those with Full-time Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dimasalang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody else in the same boat of studying for the new MCAT with a full-time job?

Let's collect some tips and tricks in this thread if you're in the same boat.

I know it's not ideal, but not all people have the luxury of spending 8-10 hours a day studying while still paying the bills. So what do you do to maximize what little time you do have after a typical 9-5?

Some tips that I've found helpful; might be obvious, but those usually need repeating:

1) If you work a desk job, or a similar job with a lot of downtime, spending some time studying discreetly if it won't affect your job performance might be a good idea. This could take the form of having a tab open with a daily MCAT question website, listening to EK Audio Osmosis while doing spreadsheets, or having Anki flashcards on your phone.

2) Weekends are crucial; it might be a day off from work, but it's the best time for uninterrupted studying time. Social life might suffer of course, but it's a sacrifice every pre-med should know by now.

3) After a long day a work, I find that a shower or a quick run gets me energized again. I'd rest for an hour or so while getting some snacks, then jump into studying after.

4) It helps to have a schedule of what you're going to study and when. When you're tired, it's much easier to get to studying if you just look at a calendar and have your chapter/questions list ready to be read/done.

5) Have dedicated break days. Self-explanatory. Also, some days you'll hit all your targeted chapters and questions, some days you'll fall asleep on the couch and wake up just in time for work again. Just embrace the suck, and start over the next day (some buffer days are helpful here, but don't rely on them).

6) It sometimes helps if you have a job that sucks. The fear that you'll be stuck doing that for the rest of your life instead of becoming an MD can be that extra push that you need to study after a long day and crush the MCAT.

What else do you have?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I was in this (not so fun) position prior to taking the Jan 8th test. The main thing I'd add to this list is to definitely make a schedule but to not panic if it gets slightly thrown off. What really helped for me was having a general timeline of when I wanted to finish each content area and also of when I planned on taking each AAMC practice test.

The hardest part for me was coming home exhausted from a super long day at work (my job is pretty stressful and I typically work more hours than 9-5) and struggling to stay completely alert for my studying. I was honestly lucky if I got 2 hours/night during the week. On the weekend, I aimed for about 4-5 hours/day. I think this worked for me because I had a relatively realistic timeline (a little less than 3 months) so I didn't have to try to cram. If you have less time, I would suggest you put in more time each day.

After I took my exam and before I got my score, I was kicking myself for doing it this way as I really thought I bombed the exam and therefore wasted a precious attempt by not being able to put my usual 100% effort into studying. I ended up being very happy with my score but I think I just got very lucky. I think it's extremely important not to underestimate the exam and to take your studying very seriously. I felt pressured to take the MCAT before it changed since I never took biochem, etc, and I kept wishing that I had buckled down earlier and taken an earlier test so that I could have had a second attempt if I needed. Thank goodness I don't have to worry about that, but it was honestly a huge stress that this was basically my one shot since otherwise I would have to take more classes before I could study for the new exam.

Reactions: 1 users
If possible,
1. Consider reducing your hours to part time. (This helps prevent a cycle of forgetting and relearning. Additionally, part time instead of full time might help you get into medical school sooner, become a doctor sooner, and get a better score.)
2. Study during your commute.
3. Study at a time that you are well awake, not too tired.
4. Make lists of what you need to do. (A list will enable you to spend more time being productive, and watch items get scratched off the list providing a sense of accomplishment.)

Reactions: 1 user
I was in this (not so fun) position prior to taking the Jan 8th test. The main thing I'd add to this list is to definitely make a schedule but to not panic if it gets slightly thrown off. What really helped for me was having a general timeline of when I wanted to finish each content area and also of when I planned on taking each AAMC practice test.

The hardest part for me was coming home exhausted from a super long day at work (my job is pretty stressful and I typically work more hours than 9-5) and struggling to stay completely alert for my studying. I was honestly lucky if I got 2 hours/night during the week. On the weekend, I aimed for about 4-5 hours/day. I think this worked for me because I had a relatively realistic timeline (a little less than 3 months) so I didn't have to try to cram. If you have less time, I would suggest you put in more time each day.

After I took my exam and before I got my score, I was kicking myself for doing it this way as I really thought I bombed the exam and therefore wasted a precious attempt by not being able to put my usual 100% effort into studying. I ended up being very happy with my score but I think I just got very lucky. I think it's extremely important not to underestimate the exam and to take your studying very seriously. I felt pressured to take the MCAT before it changed since I never took biochem, etc, and I kept wishing that I had buckled down earlier and taken an earlier test so that I could have had a second attempt if I needed. Thank goodness I don't have to worry about that, but it was honestly a huge stress that this was basically my one shot since otherwise I would have to take more classes before I could study for the new exam.

Congrats! Luck or not, it's great to hear that it is possible to do well even with your schedule.

I agree that the setting a schedule is really key.

If possible,
1. Consider reducing your hours to part time. (This helps prevent a cycle of forgetting and relearning. Additionally, part time instead of full time might help you get into medical school sooner, become a doctor sooner, and get a better score.)
2. Study during your commute.
3. Study at a time that you are well awake, not too tired.
4. Make lists of what you need to do. (A list will enable you to spend more time being productive, and watch items get scratched off the list providing a sense of accomplishment.)

Thanks! All good suggestions. Wish I could do part-time, but it's not currently feasible.

Members don't see this ad :)
I work 45-50 hr weeks and started studying ~3 months before my test (January). Luckily, I'm only 1.5 years out of undergrad and majored in science, so I just needed more review/practice than learning completely new material (aside from biology which I had not looked at since high school and had A LOT of catch up to do ). The only set schedule I had fo rmyself was that I was going to take a full length every 1-2 weeks on Saturday morning. This let me get some practice in and see how I was doing. I can't comment on the effectiveness of this (not really a) "strategy" until I get my score next week.

I work 45-50 hr weeks and started studying ~3 months before my test (January). Luckily, I'm only 1.5 years out of undergrad and majored in science, so I just needed more review/practice than learning completely new material (aside from biology which I had not looked at since high school and had A LOT of catch up to do ). The only set schedule I had fo rmyself was that I was going to take a full length every 1-2 weeks on Saturday morning. This let me get some practice in and see how I was doing. I can't comment on the effectiveness of this (not really a) "strategy" until I get my score next week.

Good luck! Saturdays/Sundays are really golden in terms of uninterrupted study time, which are super useful for practice testing.

Off topic: @Dimasalang digging the avatar/profile name. :thumbup:

:)

:)[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, are you a migrant that studied in the motherland or are you just really into the history and culture?

Out of curiosity, are you a migrant that studied back in the motherland or are you just into the history and culture?

Born there, moved to the US when I was 13.

I don't want to keep going off topic, but if you wanna chat, PM me. :D

"take the form of having a tab open with a daily MCAT question website, listening to EK Audio Osmosis while doing spreadsheets, or having Anki flashcards on your phone."

Be careful. Do not let your employer see you doing these. He or she may intentionally increase your workload.

Born there, moved to the US when I was 13.

I don't want to keep going off topic, but if you wanna chat, PM me. :D
Haha sorry about that! It's just always interesting to see other kabayans represent!

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread because i'll be in this situation soon.

During the summer I worked 8-4:30 and then had a about a 45 commute to my house. Then in the fall I would be at the school at 9 and have class until 3 with a few meetings in the evening I had to work around.

Here is my one piece of advice: give up your social life.

When I got home at about 5:15 from work, I would give myself 20 minutes for supper and then from 5:35 until 11, I would do nothing but study. So a little over 5 hours a day during the job. During school, I could do way more, so I used it to my advantage. When I was done with class at 3, I would study until supper time (or until a 6 o' clock meeting), take a 30 minute break, and then study until 10. So that gave me a bit over 6 hours.

I didn't have a social life, couldn't exercise, and did nothing but study. But, hey, I got my goal.

Thank you I need to hear this. I find myself getting tired after work and not having a plan ready means that it's easy to take the easy way out and just "relax" and tell myself that I will do it tomorrow.

I realize that going to the library really helps too! shower , eat quick and then library is better than studying at home alone where the environment isn't right.

I don’t have any MCAT advice to contribute [yet], but I just wanted to thank you for starting this thread! Any time I've tried to search for this topic, I mostly find people recommending going part-time, which simply is not an option for me. I've already seen a few tips on here that I'll definitely be keeping in mind when the time comes.

Just wondering though: what was everyone's overall timeline like? I know the other MCAT study schedules are 3 months, but did y'all find that you drew things out since you had less study time per day? Or would that start to get into a timeframe where you start forgetting material?

My only advice (take it how you wish, I scored a 35, but I do credit a lot of it to taking a lot of upper year science courses) is find the time of day, around your work that you are most focused during. I studied for 2 months with a 9-6 job, plus volunteering 8hrs/week on 2 evenings, and I was still able to study a few hours everyday.
If you're anything like me and feel dead tired after work-try the morning? I am a morning person for sure, so I used to study from 6:30-8am, and then take the bus to work. I realize this would definetly not work for everyone, but it was great for me because no matter what else came up during my day, I knew I had at least some studying done. And then I'd do longer days on the weekend and a couple hours at night!
The hours are in a day, you just have to find them :)
And I know a lot of people study longer (>3months) if working full time, but I know for me this wouldn't have worked because I would have burnt out and lost motivation. I'm glad I had a couple months of summer, free from science lol, before going back to school-I wouldn't have burnt out this year even if I survived 4 months of MCAT
In the end, it's also what kind of score you want (how long you need to study). Could I have gotten a 36 with another few weeks? Maybe, but I got what I wanted, and for me and my life/sanity overall a couple busy months was enough
And think of it this way-when it comes to studying during clerkship years, you'll already be a pro at balancing work/school!

Hi,

Anyone willing to talk/support while studying and working? Please PM me . it's good to know other person who is in a similar situation

"take the form of having a tab open with a daily MCAT question website, listening to EK Audio Osmosis while doing spreadsheets, or having Anki flashcards on your phone."

Be careful. Do not let your employer see you doing these. He or she may intentionally increase your workload.

Good point. But really, when you're working an office/cubicle job, or any other that has a lot of down time, it's really no different than people checking Facebook or their personal emails.

During the summer I worked 8-4:30 and then had a about a 45 commute to my house. Then in the fall I would be at the school at 9 and have class until 3 with a few meetings in the evening I had to work around.

Here is my one piece of advice: give up your social life.

When I got home at about 5:15 from work, I would give myself 20 minutes for supper and then from 5:35 until 11, I would do nothing but study. So a little over 5 hours a day during the job. During school, I could do way more, so I used it to my advantage. When I was done with class at 3, I would study until supper time (or until a 6 o' clock meeting), take a 30 minute break, and then study until 10. So that gave me a bit over 6 hours.

I didn't have a social life, couldn't exercise, and did nothing but study. But, hey, I got my goal.

Damn, that's impressive determination. I'm only pulling 2-3 hours generally on the weekdays. Inspirational for sure.

Thank you I need to hear this. I find myself getting tired after work and not having a plan ready means that it's easy to take the easy way out and just "relax" and tell myself that I will do it tomorrow.

I realize that going to the library really helps too! shower , eat quick and then library is better than studying at home alone where the environment isn't right.

Definitely with you on the right environment. I moved my study nook away from my bed and into a well-lit area, and it seems to be doing wonders. :)

My only advice (take it how you wish, I scored a 35, but I do credit a lot of it to taking a lot of upper year science courses) is find the time of day, around your work that you are most focused during. I studied for 2 months with a 9-6 job, plus volunteering 8hrs/week on 2 evenings, and I was still able to study a few hours everyday.
If you're anything like me and feel dead tired after work-try the morning? I am a morning person for sure, so I used to study from 6:30-8am, and then take the bus to work. I realize this would definetly not work for everyone, but it was great for me because no matter what else came up during my day, I knew I had at least some studying done. And then I'd do longer days on the weekend and a couple hours at night!
The hours are in a day, you just have to find them :)
And I know a lot of people study longer (>3months) if working full time, but I know for me this wouldn't have worked because I would have burnt out and lost motivation. I'm glad I had a couple months of summer, free from science lol, before going back to school-I wouldn't have burnt out this year even if I survived 4 months of MCAT
In the end, it's also what kind of score you want (how long you need to study). Could I have gotten a 36 with another few weeks? Maybe, but I got what I wanted, and for me and my life/sanity overall a couple busy months was enough
And think of it this way-when it comes to studying during clerkship years, you'll already be a pro at balancing work/school!

Congrats on the 36 and thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I'm pretty much a night owl. I kinda do the opposite and sacrifice a bit of sleep to study late at night and wake up a little bit later in the morning.

In the same boat! Luckily, I am only 1.5 years out of college and majored in Cell/Molecular biology and work as a Medical Technologist in the lab at the local hospital. Luckily, I work the nightshift so there arent any supervisors and I can study/read openly (its actually encouraged :) ) I signed up for the June 2015 MCAT so itll give me a little more than 3 months to prepare which I feel is mostly reveiw and hitting the Verbal Reasoning books (EK101 for now) I purchased one practice test so far from AAMC and the 720 questions as well as utilizing Khan videos. Hoping for the best!

I work like 60-70 hrs a week on average. I'm a soldier who's constantly in the field training. I'm not one of those desk jockeys who can study during work time. Here's my schedule for 3 months.

On a work day, I have to be at work from 6 am to 5 pm. I get home at 530, have dinner with my family, and spend time with the kids. I help my wife shower the kids at send them to sleep by 930-1030 pm. I take 2-3 hours nap and wake up at around 1 am. I study for about 3-4 hours every day. On Saturday and Sunday, I spend about 10 hrs a day studying. On my last two weeks before the test date, I spend about 12-16 hrs a day without any break day studying the mcat. It's like finishi"a Berkeley chapter, watch a tv episode for 25 mins, finish problem sets for the chapter, 20-30 mins break, and then the same thing for the next chapter. It works for me. I get a decent score. I could have scored higher but my ECs are very unique.

I could be more efficient for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go to school full time and work 12 hr shifts every weekend. I try to do HW over the weekend (procrastinating tonight...) So I don't think I'll be studying during the weekend

My plan was to attempt 2-3 hrs a day, except Fridays which I have off, and do 5-6 hours on Fridays. When I am done with school in May I will be taking TPR review class which is 4 days a week (in person) and I hope to study ~8-10 hrs a day.. this will give me a full month of heavy studying and 2 months of moderate review.

I didn't think of studying in the am, but to whoever mentioned it, waking up at 6 am and studying until 8-830 sounds like a great idea. It would be a big change waking up early but I think that may be more efficient than doing it at night when I'm burnt out and tired.

I go to school full time and work 12 hr shifts every weekend. I try to do HW over the weekend (procrastinating tonight...) So I don't think I'll be studying during the weekend

My plan was to attempt 2-3 hrs a day, except Fridays which I have off, and do 5-6 hours on Fridays. When I am done with school in May I will be taking TPR review class which is 4 days a week (in person) and I hope to study ~8-10 hrs a day.. this will give me a full month of heavy studying and 2 months of moderate review.

I didn't think of studying in the am, but to whoever mentioned it, waking up at 6 am and studying until 8-830 sounds like a great idea. It would be a big change waking up early but I think that may be more efficient than doing it at night when I'm burnt out and tired.
That's what I found with morning studying! Just have your coffee maker ready to brew in the morning lol

I studied for the MCAT while working more than full-time, and one thing that I found indispensable was not studying at home. I always carried around at least one study book, and once I got off the train in the evening, I would make a split-second decision as to whether I was mentally prepared to study right then. If I was, I would walk to a coffee shop and study there. After that, I could go home, make something simple for dinner, and crash on my couch with my roommates. This prevented me from viewing my apartment as a place I didn't want to be at night (because I would feel guilty about not studying). If I weren't ready to study immediately after work, I would go to the coffee shop after dinner and an evening hangout. The ones in my area close at 11, which is perfect because you really shouldn't be pulling late nights to study for this exam anyway.