Study Tips for a Freshman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

td08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed a previous thead about this, but my question is a little bit different.

For those of you who have already taken the MCAT, did you use any of your course notes / previous textbooks to help study? I'm wondering if it would be advantageous for me to get a list of the topics covered on the MCAT and keep it with my notes so that as I go through I can save the relevant study information for later on when it comes time to start seriously prepping for the MCAT.

From other people, though, I've heard that simply rocking in all your prerequisite classes and then buying a review book or two 3 months out is all that's really necessary. Any thoughts from those of you who have been through the process? Any advice for a freshman (things you would have perhaps done differently)?

I appreciate any comments, and I also apologize if this question has been asked too much.

Members don't see this ad.

I would just save the old notes and text books in case you need them for reference. Other than that, it's probably too early to study for the MCAT but planning ahead is good. Like you mentioned, all you need is a couple of good review books and you won't really need old text books unless you forgot a major concept.

Good luck and enjoy your college life!

Last edited:
Whether your texbook and notes will be helpful depends on how you do your review for the MCAT. You can buy simple 500 page review books that are pretty slim on specifics but at least touch on everything you need to know. In that case you'd probably want to look at specifics from old texts and notes. On the other hand, if you take a review course like Kaplan, Princeton, or Berkley then you'll have all the information you need and the texts/notes are pretty spurrious. So I'd hold onto them until you know what you'll be doing in the future.

What is it going to hurt to keep your old notes?
I kept most of mine and most of my textbooks from my science classes, but ended up not looking at them at all when I was studying. At least I had the information if I decided I needed it though. Princeton and Kaplan books have most of what you need in a fairly condensed form, and if you feel like you are lacking in some way then you can go back to your notes to try to understand what is being conveyed.

Last edited: