Study tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lady1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear friends, :)

So I managed to set up a schedule which I can stick to with an average of 6-7 studying per day.
But now I'd like to know how you guys/girls study.. and by that I mean like the specific steps.

1. Do you use the textbooks and then make a summary?
2. Do you only read, read, read? Never write a thing?
3. Do you skip lecture and just watch lectures from different resources? (which one)?

Giving perspective on which steps you undertake to retain information, could be just that extra push I need to do it right.

Because (right now) when I see my ''essential cell biology'' book I think; how am I ever going to learn this stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Watch lecture or equivalent and put into Anki cards simultaneously
2. Do Anki
3. Do Practice Questions

If I struggle with a concept, I just write it out over and over again until I could write it out in my sleep.

Reactions: 3 users
1. Watch lecture or equivalent and put into Anki cards simultaneously
2. Do Anki
3. Do Practice Questions

If I struggle with a concept, I just write it out over and over again until I could write it out in my sleep.

Where do you find practice questions?
I was trying online but couldn't find something extensive..

Members don't see this ad :)
Where do you find practice questions?
I was trying online but couldn't find something extensive..

Practice Q's depend on what block you are on. An student in the class above you at your specific school may be the best resource for this.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, your best luck is to find a mentor at your institution who does well but isn’t pathologically neurotic

Dear friends, :)

So I managed to set up a schedule which I can stick to with an average of 6-7 studying per day.
But now I'd like to know how you guys/girls study.. and by that I mean like the specific steps.

1. Do you use the textbooks and then make a summary?
2. Do you only read, read, read? Never write a thing?
3. Do you skip lecture and just watch lectures from different resources? (which one)?

Giving perspective on which steps you undertake to retain information, could be just that extra push I need to do it right.

Because (right now) when I see my ''essential cell biology'' book I think; how am I ever going to learn this stuff?
You have to find what works for you. People learn in different ways.

1) I have some students who will never, ever buy a textbook. I think that you can get away with not having them if your professors make good PPT files/notes, have clear objectives, and are NOT the type that have required reading.

There are some texts that have nice supplemental materials, like videos, case files, and item banks, at least. I tend to like those the best.

2) Active learning helps you retain better than passive learning. Hence, it probably will be worth it for you to make some type of outline, tables, figures or notes. It works for me. I'm a fan of looking at short videos as well.

3) I'd say 10-15% of my students now are truly dedicated lecture goers. They need to hear/see things in lecture as their first pass at the material. Keep in mind that some med schools have done away with lecture entirely! the rest of the class makes do just fine with staying at home, and watching us in thier sweats on their tablets at 2x speed. Being that they are adult learners, and can figure out how best to study, we Faculty are OK with this. And this is also why I really, really, really despise schools with required lecture attendance. That is so 19th Century!

Read this:
Goro's Guide to Success in Medical School (2018 edition)

I never take any notes or write anything down unless they literally say something like this is a common exam question. One of my friends is a genius and we never knew how he scored so highly (dux of his course) with such little work and we always asked him how he did it which he would respond with 'just remember it' which we thought was absurd and impossible with the volume until we started to ditch all the written notes and simply focus more on understanding the concept or whatever it may be wholly, basically like he did which is often said but essentially stop relying on notes and trust your memory.

Ever since I ditched all the note writing and focused more on listening and connecting all the dots my grades have shot up with far less study. It wasn't easy at first i'd often get frustrated with how much I could retain but over time you get better and better. I always think of function and form when studying, e.g Left subclavian artery runs under the subclavian then turns into the axillary because axillary = armpit, so names reflect purpose/location so it's almost like you don't need to commit these to memory because it becomes almost obvious.

Also when they say learn something once so you don't have to learn it again, actually do this, go through it thoroughly and go away for 5 mins come back and write it from memory. Nail it the first time and save yourself time.

Then keep running your flash cards or view the material once or twice a week to remind yourself of small details you're likely to forget.

This is the most common study advice but if you actually commit to it instead of half-assing it, its very lucrative.

+1 on the avoiding note-taking as much as possible except for super important details or large concepts during your first pass. Forces you to consider what’s important and gets you actively engaged rather than creating a transcript of the lecture.

Add in details later to cement those concepts via anki or whatever, but the concepts and ideas should come first always

Then finally do questions to apply those details and concepts

Thanks everyone.. :)
The people above my class.. I know 1 but he isn't very helpful.

I tried khan academy and lecturio but I think I should be making more notes based on textbook.

Our lectures are not helpful, besides for getting a very very very basic knowledge. So I think I'm going to skip a few.
But it seems they ask a lot about concepts and details.. So I guess I have to hit the books mostly.

And then make my own notes with a deeper understanding of the concepts.
Not making my own notes seems tricky. I feel like I don't know the material that way. Maybe if I pass first year I will try that way. But now it's mostly about memorizing and recognizing the concepts.

Any tips to specific websites?
Like for lectures, practice tests and slides?

Thanks everyone.. :)
The people above my class.. I know 1 but he isn't very helpful.

I tried khan academy and lecturio but I think I should be making more notes based on textbook.

Our lectures are not helpful, besides for getting a very very very basic knowledge. So I think I'm going to skip a few.
But it seems they ask a lot about concepts and details.. So I guess I have to hit the books mostly.

And then make my own notes with a deeper understanding of the concepts.
Not making my own notes seems tricky. I feel like I don't know the material that way. Maybe if I pass first year I will try that way. But now it's mostly about memorizing and recognizing the concepts.

Any tips to specific websites?
Like for lectures, practice tests and slides?

I use boards and beyond, in all honesty it doesn't really matter. In the end you just simply have to put in the effort, with whatever study method you choose no specific resource is going to make that big of a difference in 1st year.

The biggest issue is overstudying, so clarify with your professors exactly the depth you need to go into, i've got people in my PBL studying our Learning objectives for 4-6 hours when in reality they can be learnt in an hour or so (atm, they will get much harder)

Last edited:
I use boards and beyond, in all honesty it doesn't really matter. In the end you just simply have to put in the effort, with whatever study method you choose no specific resource is going to make that big of a difference in 1st year.

I never take any notes or write anything down unless they literally say something like this is a common exam question. One of my friends is a genius and we never knew how he scored so highly (dux of his course) with such little work and we always asked him how he did it which he would respond with 'just remember it' which we thought was absurd and impossible with the volume until we started to ditch all the written notes and simply focus more on understanding the concept or whatever it may be wholly, basically like he did which is often said but essentially stop relying on notes and trust your memory.

Ever since I ditched all the note writing and focused more on listening and connecting all the dots my grades have shot up with far less study. It wasn't easy at first i'd often get frustrated with how much I could retain but over time you get better and better. I always think of function and form when studying, e.g Left subclavian artery runs under the subclavian then turns into the axillary because axillary = armpit, so names reflect purpose/location so it's almost like you don't need to commit these to memory because it becomes almost obvious.

Also when they say learn something once so you don't have to learn it again, actually do this, go through it thoroughly and go away for 5 mins come back and write it from memory. Nail it the first time and save yourself time.

Then keep running your flash cards or view the material once or twice a week to remind yourself of small details you're likely to forget.

This is the most common study advice but if you actually commit to it instead of half-assing it, its very lucrative.

So for a first pass you go to/listen to lecture, and for a second and third do you listen again or review the power points?

I was just thinking about ditching note writing. I found for the exams I did well on so far I started to look at learning objectives, and then try to verbalize everything I knew about a given topic (ensuring I've encoded it but can also retrieve it.)

Also, 'should' I really be trying to dig up third party resources? I worry I'll be focused on trying to find the perfect thing, which may not match my exam, that I won't havr studied what i needed to. Everyone's talking about Anki and BRS and... I'm just using the PowerPoints and Kaplan/Lippincott for assessment. Am I shooting myself in the foot?

1. Tried to go to lectures first couple of weeks. Going to lectures doesnt work for me. Waste of time. Watching lectures at 1.5-1.75x speed with active learning. Retain 70% that way.

2. Tried taking notes at OneNote. Waste of energy for me. Why write down same thing what is on power point or handouts. Our lectures are exactly the same what's on PPT slides and/or handouts.

3. Our classes have very clear objectives. I copy them, paste in word, add enough space and respond during or after lecture.

4. Take practice questions, quizzes, tests after lectures. Identify holes, go back and refresh. Repeat until you are good at it.

5. Tried making flashcards. So waste of time. It is hard and time consuming to make flash cards. Maybe for future classes like pharm they might work.

6. I quickly realized that it is not how much you study, but how good you study. Figure out your own ways with best yield.

7. If during recorded lectures I still dont understand, I pause, explain it to myself or watch some short online videos or seek brief addition resource and go on.

I figured if I go on without understanding something, following information retains a lot less.

8. Exam taking skills is huge part of succes. I just realized that. Never had been a good test taker. Didnt have high test anxiety, just never knew there is actually a skill and certain strategies. Attended some of our student learning workshops. Visited center for student learning and success and I improved so much. Visit your school resources for sure. They know your school's specifics.

9. Getting enough sleep and staying relaxed during exam will give you couple more points for sure.

So for a first pass you go to/listen to lecture, and for a second and third do you listen again or review the power points?

I was just thinking about ditching note writing. I found for the exams I did well on so far I started to look at learning objectives, and then try to verbalize everything I knew about a given topic (ensuring I've encoded it but can also retrieve it.)

Also, 'should' I really be trying to dig up third party resources? I worry I'll be focused on trying to find the perfect thing, which may not match my exam, that I won't havr studied what i needed to. Everyone's talking about Anki and BRS and... I'm just using the PowerPoints and Kaplan/Lippincott for assessment. Am I shooting myself in the foot?

The power points consist of 5 slides with just a few words. Of course I look at them again. But they aren't very helpful.

1. Tried to go to lectures first couple of weeks. Going to lectures doesnt work for me. Waste of time. Watching lectures at 1.5-1.75x speed with active learning. Retain 70% that way.

2. Tried taking notes at OneNote. Waste of energy for me. Why write down same thing what is on power point or handouts. Our lectures are exactly the same what's on PPT slides and/or handouts.

3. Our classes have very clear objectives. I copy them, paste in word, add enough space and respond during or after lecture.

4. Take practice questions, quizzes, tests after lectures. Identify holes, go back and refresh. Repeat until you are good at it.

5. Tried making flashcards. So waste of time. It is hard and time consuming to make flash cards. Maybe for future classes like pharm they might work.

6. I quickly realized that it is not how much you study, but how good you study. Figure out your own ways with best yield.

7. If during recorded lectures I still dont understand, I pause, explain it to myself or watch some short online videos or seek brief addition resource and go on.

I figured if I go on without understanding something, following information retains a lot less.

8. Exam taking skills is huge part of succes. I just realized that. Never had been a good test taker. Didnt have high test anxiety, just never knew there is actually a skill and certain strategies. Attended some of our student learning workshops. Visited center for student learning and success and I improved so much. Visit your school resources for sure. They know your school's specifics.

9. Getting enough sleep and staying relaxed during exam will give you couple more points for sure.

Yes I will be trying to take notes of the book and for the bigger concepts try to understand them. Notes, because we don't have PowerPoint slides where I can rely on. The profs don't tell much.
If I had a way of getting practice questions and quizzes that would really help me.
Do you have any tips or links to that?

Yes I will be trying to take notes of the book and for the bigger concepts try to understand them. Notes, because we don't have PowerPoint slides where I can rely on. The profs don't tell much.
If I had a way of getting practice questions and quizzes that would really help me.

Depending on the block, there are usually common question sites or books people use. What block are you in?

The power points consist of 5 slides with just a few words. Of course I look at them again. But they aren't very helpful.
I guess we are lucky at my school. No books needed. Everything comes from PPT or Handouts. Our classes average around 30 slides per lecture.

BRS and Exammaster

Well since you asked me,

The first pass is the most important, I immediately try and correlate everything, what, why, how; it's not a huge process e.g I do it while the lecturer is going over the slide. Essentially I try get interested in it, even if it has no appeal to me e.g psych.

Lets keep with the artery examples, lets say I have an anatomy lab and get to see the femoral artery, now i'm going to ask the demonstrator at which point it changes from external iliac to the femoral (inguinal ligament). I'm going to note the structures around it so the nerve and vein (femoral triangle) now i'm going to think about how I can use a femoral pulse to find these structures ~1-2cm lateral for the nerve and 1-2 medial for the vein. Then I would think for there to be a femoral pulse they must have at least ~70mmHg systolic pressure. So now I know how to find a spot for a femoral catheter. Now i'll think about how I know if i'm actually in the vein, i'd aspirate a bit and note the colour of the blood. Same if I was to apply anesthetic to the thigh, i'd go 1-2cm lateral of the femoral pulse and aspirate slightly, if no blood then it's the nerve. Now i'd think about what muscles its going to effect (quadriceps femoris).

I mean that's just a little insight of what I try to do on the first pass, I like to build it in with my existing knowledge because the more connections you make the greater the chance of recall.

Second pass, let's say later on that week, i'll do my best to recall it all in my head and then look to lecture slides/notes to confirm whether I was right and what I missed. Then i'll further build on it, using exactly the same process and try connect it to the popliteal fossa for example.

Third pass basically exactly the same but i'll focus down on the smaller points I missed and maybe make a flash card or something if I feel it's important enough.

Something along these lines is what I do but keep within your current knowledge, don't get ahead of where your currently at in class.

Personally I don't use notes, I prefer diagrams. e.g i'll just google femoral triangle and go to the lecture slides and correlate the text on the slides with the structures or directly use the slides if they come with an image.

It may sound complicated but if you keep within your limits it really works well. Lets say it's your first week of med school, so femoral artery, named because it runs by the femur, the external iliac becomes it once it passes the pelvis, ok what are the bones and their landmarks of the pelvis, if it's a main artery it's usually accompanied by a nerve and vein - what are those.

So yeah since you asked and that's what I do. Always use diagrams, I almost never do any of this cold (without a diagram/picture) but you have to be honest with yourself whether you really know it or not.