studying abroad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualvic

AA 21/TS 23/PAT 23 GPA3.9
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to dental school in June and was wondering when interviews usually are. I was planning on studying abroad in this case would going in the fall or spring be better?

Members don't see this ad.

Schools usually interview from September til the end of Feb.. sometimes later.. studying abroad either semester doesn't seem like a wise decision :\.

I am applying to dental school in June and was wondering when interviews usually are. I was planning on studying abroad in this case would going in the fall or spring be better?

I studied abroad in the spring semester of my junior year. Since its too late to prepare for this upcoming semester, I wouldn't study abroad unless you do it for this coming summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think studying abroad is a great experience, and I recommend that you do it at some point. In your case, summer 2010 is the best time, and spring 2011 could work. Fall 2010 would be bad

Given your DAT scores and GPA, if you can submit your application this June, I think you'll get some interviews in the fall and at least one acceptance in December. You could then study abroad in the spring. Of course, if there's one dental school that you really want to attend, there's no guarantee that they will interview you in the fall. Many schools interview through the spring. So if possible, submit your application this June, then study abroad until September (when interviews start).

Studying abroad was one of the best experiences (if not the best) of my college years... don't miss it. Send your app in June 1st and it'll help you a lot. If you are reviewed early you have a better chance at an early interview.

Where are you planning on studying abroad? Is it anywhere that if that one magic school happens to interview you after Dec 1, you can fly in for it?

Apply early and study abroad in Spring! I applied to 7 schools on June 28th and just finished by last interview on Jan 7th. Granted you most likely won't hear back from all of them by the time you leave, you can still accept while your abroad. Make sure to use your parents mailing address so that they can deal with any mail while you are abroad and have TOO MUCH FUN!

APPLY EARLY