Studying for California Boards...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VM3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy...
I'm from California but going to school in the midwest. I'm just starting my 4th year and have been searching the web & UC Davis site for study guides/advice/anything for the California boards (so far haven't found anything). I hear it's ~100 NAVLE-type questions which takes approx 2 hours to complete. Does anyone have any wisdom to impart? Can anyone help me out?

Members don't see this ad.

VM3 said:
Howdy...
I'm from California but going to school in the midwest. I'm just starting my 4th year and have been searching the web & UC Davis site for study guides/advice/anything for the California boards (so far haven't found anything). I hear it's ~100 NAVLE-type questions which takes approx 2 hours to complete. Does anyone have any wisdom to impart? Can anyone help me out?

Well, I took and passed the CA state boards last December. You're right, there are 100 questions. They are multiple choice and not really NAVLE-like. On the NAVLE, usually you have a photo or some sort of data/radiograph to evaluate. These questions are a good mix. The questions are usually about 1 or 2 sentences long so you don't have much in terms of history or CS before choosing your option (usually "what would you do first" sort of options). Some questions are about diseases or drugs, not about actual cases. About 40-50 small/exotic questions. About 10 general questions, 30 food animal, and the rest equine.

Know your California diseases (including odd ones like Foothill Abortion) and laws (though you do have the separate law exam that is open-book).

Good luck! I didn't think it was that bad of an exam compared to the NAVLE (I also passed that, but didn't feel good about it).

birdvet, you're saying that it's not as difficult as the navle is? But there must be some source that indicates what we should know for the test just like the navle. I guess this is what vm3's asking, isn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
KoreanVet said:
birdvet, you're saying that it's not as difficult as the navle is? But there must be some source that indicates what we should know for the test just like the navle. I guess this is what vm3's asking, isn't it?

Well, I didn't find it as difficult as the NAVLE - but that's my own personal opinion/experience. The NAVLE was also like a 6-8 hour exam vs. a 2 hour exam (and I finished the CA exam in about an hour, actually), and I hated the added stress of looking at a computer screen (eye strain) for that long.

Of *course* you should know your usual NAVLE stuff - the NAVLE examines you on basic entry-level veterinary medicine (the whole purpose is an entry-level exam into the career). The CA exam is more focused on region-specific diseases though, and region-specific laws.

Thanks for your answer, bird. Then, where can I get the california regional specifics like regulations and laws?

KoreanVet said:
Thanks for your answer, bird. Then, where can I get the california regional specifics like regulations and laws?

They send you that in a thick packet of info after you are registered for the exam.

birdvet2006 said:
Well, I took and passed the CA state boards last December. You're right, there are 100 questions. They are multiple choice and not really NAVLE-like. On the NAVLE, usually you have a photo or some sort of data/radiograph to evaluate. These questions are a good mix. The questions are usually about 1 or 2 sentences long so you don't have much in terms of history or CS before choosing your option (usually "what would you do first" sort of options). Some questions are about diseases or drugs, not about actual cases. About 40-50 small/exotic questions. About 10 general questions, 30 food animal, and the rest equine.

Know your California diseases (including odd ones like Foothill Abortion) and laws (though you do have the separate law exam that is open-book).

Good luck! I didn't think it was that bad of an exam compared to the NAVLE (I also passed that, but didn't feel good about it).

Thanks, Cindy, for the fast response and the additional insight! :) Oh, and welcome back to the US (assuming that you're back)!!! I been reading your responses/perspectives for awhile now (since the prevet forum at about.com!!).

For anyone else interested, there is a website at UC Davis with some California-specific info: http://vetpda.ucdavis.edu/boards/default.cfm

Make sure you know some stuff about exotics (especially avian/pocket pets). I made the mistake of studying poultry, swine and small ruminants. I had one sheep question and everything else was small animal, equine or bovine. I was shocked that (seemingly) 20% of the test was on exotics. I'm exaggerating, but it wasn't just a token question or two. I passed this exam and practice in CA now, but this is no kidding a tough test. Make sure you study. I thought it was more difficult than national boards. As far as regional stuff - know about foxtails, salmon poisoning, rattlesnake bites, Yellow Star thistle and disease vectors in CA (skunks, ground squirrels, etc.,). Hope this helps.