1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Studying for DAT

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by jjangmes, Apr 15, 2007.

1. jjangmes

Pre-Dental
    Hi.
    I am currently a freshmen in college, and I was wondering if it is okay for me to start preparing for DAT? The book i currently bought Barron's DAT prep book, and it says it should be only used as a review... will reading DAT prep books get me ready for DAT anyways?
    THanks!

-James

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. skyisblue

Pre-Dental
    I think that starting as soon as possible is a good idea. At least you know what you're getting into early on so you can prepare accordingly while you take your classes. You can even get some textbooks and prepare for your science classes ahead of time too. That would help you on your gpa and on the DAT. A lot of people who did well on this test knew in the back of their mind that they were going to take this test later so they studied accordingly and ended up spending less time reviewing for the DAT right before their test. This is one thing I would've done differently.

4. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry

Dental Student
    i have to disagree with skyisblue...you have to keep in mind that the exam tests everything you've learned in the 2 years it takes to complete your prereqs (for a college freshman, this is the first two years of classes); how can you begin reviewing material you haven't even learned? you'd be wasting time that you could instead be devoting to learning the material and building a good foundation so that when it comes time to study for the test all you'll have to do is review.

i personally wouldn't recommend studying this early in the game...its only going to intimidate you. once you've completed your prereqs and built that awesome foundation, you'll be ready to start studying for the exam, and with a good 5-6 weeks you'll be ready to own it.

or atleast...thats what most sdners do, and the students on here have some of the highest scores in the nation, so we must be doing something right, yea?

best of luck :thumbup:

5. blasterx

:thumbup:

6. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe

Pre-Dental
    Way to early bro.

7. diane07

Pre-Dental
    Concentrate on doing well in your current classes . . . and retaining that information! Focus on understanding concepts because if you have a good foundation in the basics, you'll be well prepared when it comes time to study for the DAT.

8. pre-dentalguy

pre-dentalguy Senior Member

Pre-Dental

You're kind of early, but in your case I would keep up the chem, bio, and organic in the Kaplan blue book while taking the courses.

Marion

9. allaphenom

allaphenom New Member

Pre-Dental
    I guess its probably a good idea to start studying although you don't really need to spend all your time doing it since you haven't learned a lot of the material at all yet. If you're looking for material to study from then it's a good idea to get Kaplan and Achiever stuff. The Destroyer is also a really good source to go to because its going to give you really clear cut explanations - it's very helpful.

10. Nasem

Pre-Medical
    Some parts of the DAT you can start practicing them early (in a slow and steady fashion)... Examples would be the PAT and reading Compreh.

Even though your still young (probebly 18-ish), You can start subscribing to Science magazines every month and reading them cover to cover, it will REALLY inhance your reading ability.... As far as PAT goes, buy the barrons book and learn the PAT section, this book is the best way to self-learn the PAT section of the exam.

As far as Biology / Chemistries / Orgos, leave those until your about 6 months away from taking the real deal....

One suggesion I can give (which will also prepare you for the DAT) is to ROCK your Biology / Chemistry / and Orgo classes inside out.... Make sure you learn the material well don't just shoot for 4.0s or A+, instead, shoot for LEARNING and underestanding the material, it will REALLY help you prepare for the DAT. I know it sounds kinda wierd when I tell you to aim for learning instead of obtaining a high mark, but I have had some professors in my lifetime that were too easy and tought the class like crap (Easy A class), I didn't learn the material but I still got A's and A-'s (my Calc II professor was like this)

11. skyisblue

Pre-Dental
    I totally agree with Nasem. Make sure you understand the material while you're taking those classes. It will cut down on your preparation time for the DAT. For the most part, I did well in my science classes, thought I understood what I was learning, but when it came down to studying for this test, I've learned that I have forgotten a lot! But that may be just me. Some people are able to do well on this test even though they haven't looked at a lot of this stuff in a long while and needed only a few weeks. I bow down to them.