Studying for MCAT while fasting...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDotooMuch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on studying for the MCAT while fasting. I'm sittiing for my examination on Sep 2 and the holy month of Ramadan is starting tomorrow.

Anyone done this before??

Any tips on how to survive?

Anyone else in the same predicament?

Members don't see this ad.

Glad to see that some premeds still have their priorities straight ,balancing medicine with their other priorities in life!

Some hints from experiencing the Jewish 24 hour fasts.

1. Write the mcat in the morning. The crunch usually hits after the time of the second missed meal.
2. Take your practice tests in the am.
3. If you are alloed to eat in the morning consider a diet which releases carbohydrares slowly such as whole grain foods, multigrain etc.
4.keep well hydrated.
5.if you are prone to headaches with fasting ,some people get relief from slow release aspirin or aspirin suppository. Ask your family doctor if this is an option for you.
6. Keep cool and be chill. I have done many 10 hr shifts starting at 0800 hrs after fasting from the previous sundown.

Last edited:
Think through this for a little bit. This is going to be difficult, and you may not get as much out of the studying as you otherwise would have. I know when I'm hungry, even a regular class can be a waste, as pretty much all I'll be thinking about is food.

I know Islam gives exceptions for extraordinary circumstances - and this, imo, would be one of them. This test is very important and directly related to your future.

Honestly though, if you're that dedicated to it, it can be done. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad to see that some premeds still have their priorities straight ,balancing medicine with their other priorities in life!

Some hints from experiencing the Jewish 24 hour fasts.

1. Write the mcat in the morning. The crunch usually hits after the time of the second missed meal.
2. Take your practice tests in the am.
3. If you are alloed to eat in the morning consider a diet which releases carbohydrares slowly such as whole grain foods, multigrain etc.
4.keep well hydrated.
5.if you are prone to headaches with fasting ,some people get relief from slow release aspirin or aspirin suppository. Ask your family doctor if this is an option for you.
6. Keep cool and be chill. I have done many 10 hr shifts starting at 0800 hrs after fasting from the previous sundown.

Oooh! These are good tips! Gracias.

there are tons of people that fast during important events. few years ago when Ramadan was in winter, I remember some football player, during a playoff game, was fasting. Not saying to do or not to do it. At the end of the day its your decision and don't have regrets for the decision. don't think it's anyone else's right to voice their opinion.

Just wondering... anyone of you planning to reading the whole Quran?

fasting is a time for one to remember God often, a great time to pray especially with all sorts of tests both academic and spiritual, God willing, hope those taking the MCAT do well whether you take in the month of fasting or another time! :)

fasting is a time for one to remember God often, a good way to pray especially with all sorts of tests both academic and spiritual, God willing, hope those taking the MCAT do well whether you take in the month of fasting or another time! :)

Well said...with your attitude, I'm sure you will make it to be a great physician, just saying.

Wow. This is so encouraging. I do plan to read the Quran during this month. I just replaced my EK Audio Osmosis with a Quran CD today.

In all honesty. This is pretty hard. I'm trying to balance fasting, research, and studying. It usually gets easier for me after the first week. I been trying to study as much as I can during the early morning. The fast starts at around 430am and ends 800pm. I try and sneak in a power nap in the lab during lunch break. ;) Makes the rest of my day bearable.

Pretty much gone polyphasic. Wake up at 4am. EAT until 430am. Pray. Study 5am to 8am. Sleep from 8am to 9/930am. Walk to lab in the blistering California sun around 10. Work till about 12pm. Sleep 12pm to 1/130 (so great the grad students know I'm fasting they make things a little less demanding). Pray. Work from 2 to 6pm. At this point its impossible for me to concentrate. Walk to my apt in the HOT heat. Sleep/Watch TV/play Halo till 8pm. EAT!!! Study till 11ish and sleep...

Salaams everyone,

I'll be taking the MCAT on August 12 (next Friday) while fasting too. It was TRULY uplifting to read all the above posts and to know that I'm not alone; I appreciate all the words of advice and encouragement from everyone.

I plan to take a few practice exams in the upcoming days at 8 am, just to simulate testing conditions (while fasting).

Remember to say Bismillah before you start! Spiritual strength is as important and arguably more so than physical strength. May Allah grant us the best. Ameen.

A friend of mine took the mcat last ramadhan while fasting and pulled a 35. He started UCLA med last week.

Ultimately, its up to you how seriously you want to take this month. You can use it to your advantage or squander it away by making petty excuses.

Taking full length MCATs on a fast is the toughest thing I've ever done. It's so completely draining.

As much as I want to, the MCAT is too important to take while fasting, so I'll be skipping Friday's fast. Just make it up after Eid !

I have been trying to study for the PCAT by staying up all night until morning. I have tried to study while fasting, but simply could not. I am prone to migraines. :( I think that is the best solution even though I get restless lol.

This issue comes up every year, and my response/advice is the same.
As a medical student, there will LOTS of things you will be doing that are "anti-Islamic" including, but not limited to
a) Mutilating dead bodies
b) Paying interest on loans
c) Missing prayers due to being in a lab/mandatory class

If the powers-that-be have decided that these things are OK to do since they serve a higher purpose, then skipping one fast to do well on an exam that will allow you to then serve that higher purpose should also be OK.