Studying for MCAT with classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

therealbacon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am, this upcoming semester, going to take the first of my premed classes; Biology I and Chemistry I with labs. My university isn't the most competitive (random state school), so I'm worried if I won't have all of the background knowledge necessary to score high on the MCAT (my high hopes have led me to aim for a 38 (Biological + Physical + Verbal, not discussing sociology etc. right now)). I will be taking time to go through studying the MCAT itself, I don't want to be lacking any knowledge when I get to that stage. Does anyone who has done this before have any suggestions for studying for (or studying in more depth if you will) MCAT biology and chemistry while concurrently taking the actual courses? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You're best off not even worrying about the MCAT at this point. Just make an effort to really learn the material (not just memorize things) so that you can get A's in all your BCPM classes. Then when the time comes to re-learn the material for your MCAT, it'll come back to you quickly.

The MCAT sciences are very basic. Your classes will be more in-depth.

When would you be taking it? I'm assuming not for at least a year if you are just starting pre-reqs. Personally, I think studying anything over 5 months in advance would be counter-productive. You'll forget what you "studied" before.

Upon finishing each pre-req, how should I keep the information fresh in my mind? Is there a short review book out there meant for refreshing biology (or chem or even sociology) knowledge?(I will begin studying for the actual test probably one or even two years after taking all Bio, Gen Chem, and Sociology)