1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Studying for MCATS

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Dutchess, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Dutchess

Hi, I am currently in my 3rd year of undergrad, and have started preparing for the MCAT. I plan on applying to med school this summer/early fall. I was thinking of taking the test sometime in April. Would this be the deal time for me to take it, or should I take it earlier/later?

Also, I am taking a Kaplan Reveiw Course. Has anyone taken this course, and did you find it helpful?

Lastly, what are some study tips/ approaches to studying that have worked for you?

Thanks! :)

2. Muffinpuff

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    April is a good time to take it, summer is the best time to apply either in June or July. August is running a bit on the late side. If you go on the home page of SDN, you'll find an article on why applying earlier is better. Kaplan is good if you're the type that can do a lot of independent studying. They have very few classes and most of the work you do need to do on your own. They're good overall, but verbal is a tricky part, try EK, it's the one closer to AAMC.

3. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    The only right time is when you're ready. Don't feel pressured to take the MCAT. Most of the time, people that rush to take the MCAT perform poorly.

My Kaplan teachers were pretty bad, but you could have some good ones. The main benefit I drew from the class was the online material. Being with others in the same situation was also good psychologically.