Studying for mock boards/inservice exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JustSomePreMed

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all. I'm a PGY-2/first year derm resident starting to freak out a little bit about the mock boards coming up. I've tried to keep up with reading as best I can, but our program doesn't have the most structured curriculum (a lot of "read on your own") so that has me a bit worried. I primarily read Bologna (with Hurwitz for peds and Elston for path).

In the coming weeks, what's the best way to go about studying? Doing my normal reading while trying to supplement with the Jain review book or the Galderma binder? Focusing on just one of those other sources (Jain/Galderma) and taking a break from Bologna and other stuff?

I'm not trying to get a 100% obviously, but I don't wanna embarrass myself either!

Thanks everyone!
 
As long as you've kept up with the reading, you should be fine. Bologna is an excellent resource but probably too large to review quickly. I've had good results with the Galderma binder as a short term review. If you have two months before mock boards, you might try keeping up with your regular reading and supplementing with a brief review source for 1 month and then solely focusing on the review source for the final 3-4 weeks.
 
Hi all. I'm a PGY-2/first year derm resident starting to freak out a little bit about the mock boards coming up. I've tried to keep up with reading as best I can, but our program doesn't have the most structured curriculum (a lot of "read on your own") so that has me a bit worried. I primarily read Bologna (with Hurwitz for peds and Elston for path).

In the coming weeks, what's the best way to go about studying? Doing my normal reading while trying to supplement with the Jain review book or the Galderma binder? Focusing on just one of those other sources (Jain/Galderma) and taking a break from Bologna and other stuff?

I'm not trying to get a 100% obviously, but I don't wanna embarrass myself either!

Thanks everyone!

I have a unstructured program too. I'm using Galderma and Andrews and Elston. In the future I will probably start Bolognia