Studying for Oral Boards: Any Advice Appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iradi8u

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will take oral boards this year and really don't know what the best preparation methods work best. I do not have a study group, so it will have to be solo.

If anyone has any suggestions about how they studied, what did and did not work for them, and any sort of outline to use to start formulating case scenarios/questions, I would greatly appreciate it if you would share.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Will you at least have access to some faculty members from your institution for mock orals?

If it is at all possible, I'd highly recommend group prep with a few others in your shoes, preferably from a different training background than yours. Doesn't need to be in person. You can do Skype or gotomeeting.

This is nothing like the writtens...... You really need to be comfortable describing what you know, what you do in practice and why

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously they are illegal now and nobody uses them any more but in past recalls were critical. Someone I know said about 80 to 90% of his cases were mentioned in recalls and that if they weren't illegal he would highly recommend them.

I was able to get in a study group with 4-5 other people, and I found it to be very, very helpful. Not only did it motivate me to be ready for our virtual meetings, studying with others who trained at different institutions opened my eyes to other ways of skinning the proverbial cat.

Not really advice, but recently heard that the oral boards will be administered in March once the move to Dallas happens....

Hansen/Roach and Radonc wiki....two of my favorite resources are getting a little aged! Any word on any new versions or updates? Virtually impossible to update everything and the radonc wiki has been graciously updated by volunteers....but do we know when these might get updated ?

I will take oral boards this year and really don't know what the best preparation methods work best. I do not have a study group, so it will have to be solo.

If anyone has any suggestions about how they studied, what did and did not work for them, and any sort of outline to use to start formulating case scenarios/questions, I would greatly appreciate it if you would share.

Thanks!
I am taking RO oral boards this May. Can we start a study group to prepare. Shall greatly appreciate your response. Thanks in anticipation.

Reactions: 1 user
Not really advice, but recently heard that the oral boards will be administered in March once the move to Dallas happens....
Oh heavens! Thanks for the update...I looked on ABR website and it's not posted yet.

I am wondering how not only a very new location and format could affect the pass rate, also I wonder if courses like Osler might or might not hold their practice oral board session. Usually they host them right before the upcoming board...I hope they will offer their course in February or early march....

I am taking RO oral boards this May. Can we start a study group to prepare. Shall greatly appreciate your response. Thanks in anticipation.
Are you interested in a Study Group ? We can do via Skype or other means ?

gotomeeting offers more functionality like the ability to take control and draw on other people's screens remotely. It's free for a month per person
Only if I can find a partner to do it. Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated.