Studying for the DAT (ahead).... realizing how behind I am

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingo1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

so I will be taking my DAT around June or July of 2019. I am taking cell biology and biochemistry next semester since those classes will reinforce biology concepts that I need prior to the DAT. I decided to do some light review right now just to have an idea of what i need to work on the most..... and realized how bad I probably will do in the DAT if I dont study for the appropriate time.

right now I am reading through the AP biology book which is not too bad but some of the little definitions I definitely mix up (stuff from biology 1 and 2). I also did some DAT math from a youtube channel that is free, from "orgo tutor" and then I realized how much math I forgot, seriously I feel so behind in math. I also did a practice reading exam on bootcamp with their free exams and did below a 15 on reading (I was not surprised reading is my weakness) and I also tried the general chemistry exam and did not finish it because I did not recall how to do anything that I was asked for. All this made me realize how much I need to study in so little time and I wanted to hear some advice with what I should use and if the same thing happened to you guys. I just ordered the DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer to enforce my math concepts but I am not sure if those books teach you are are only questions. I am also planning on doing one reading practice each night from the DAT bootcamp until I get the hand of reading comp. But what surprised me the most was how badly I did with chemistry, I usually am good in chem but I have not seen it in a good minute.

my plan now is to continue reading and taking notes of the AP Biology book 3rd edition, and learn as much math as possible during this winter break. I also wanted to purchase coursesaver since it has some general chem and math form Chad but I feel like those videos are not updated, probably from 2014 around the time my brother took his DAT.

What's worrying me right now is how behind I feel with all this material and then i might have limited time during spring and then 2 months to study after im burned out from spring.

The only advantages I have so far is organic chemistry and PAT I did very well in organic and know it well and the PAT is really easy to me. but for the ones I am struggling on what do you guys think I should do? how should I study? and also, I heard there were anki decks for AP biology 3rd edition in bootcamp for free but I dont seem to find them, I would like to test myself with some questions.

Thank you all! sorry for the freak out and bunch of questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Start by reading breakdowns people have posted. You're soooo far away from your exam date at this point. Most people spend 1-3 months studying.

You have a nice window of time to study. Stay focused and make a study plan that works for you. The DAT and Math Destroyer are teaching books and not to be used for timing. All the time in the world will not help if you can not answer the questions presented.

For reading, your goal should be to increase your speed and comprehension levels. You can accomplish by beginning to read every day. I tell my students to read what you enjoy, it can be books, magazines, newspapers, etc. If you have mastered these skills it doesn't matter what you are presented on test day, you should be able to get through it.

Same for math, focus on your math skills, there are many videos on youtube and free resources that will help you accomplish this.

One of the subjects that many students struggle with is Orgo, and from what you stated you have that covered. Great job!
It appears you are a very serious student and with a good study plan and realistic goals you will be able to Destroy the DAT Beast!

Wishing you the best

Nancy