Studying for the DAT too early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O Gaúcho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aloha!
So I just finished my first year of college and will be taking the DAT here in a few years. Obviously the best preparation for the DAT will be studying for my classes and getting good grades. I completely understand that and that is exactly what I am trying to do. But I recently had the idea of starting to study for the DAT by using DAT prep material. I just purchased DAT Destroyer and plan on going through that. I am not going to focus on just the DAT and not my classes, but rather use it a way to help learn the material for my classes while studying for the DAT.
So my real question to everybody is if they think this is a good idea and If it would be productive and help in any way. And if I am going to study right now for the DAT what would be the best method? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly it wouldn't be too early to study for it. You should use organic chemistry as a second language for both your ochem class and dat studying. Studying for the test should go along with the classes that way you can make sense of what you learned and commit to memory. When I was an undergraduate, I would use chad's videos for my physics and ochem classes. The best time to take your DAT is right after ochem 2. That way you should have ochem fresh on your mind and have taken your freshman level biology class too. As for the PAT portion maybe study 10 to 30 mins a day until you take the DAT.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I think Destroyer is something you shouldn't use as a head start. You won't be able to commit to memory a lot of the seemingly arbitrary bio facts that's in there.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will have the next 7+ years to study. Take a breather and excel in your classes. Take the DAT in the summer after your sophomore year and you will have plenty of time to study.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you all so much for the advice. My biggest goal and dream is to first get into dental school and then excel in my profession. I just want to take all the necessary steps and be completely dedicated

Honestly it wouldn't be too early to study for it. You should use organic chemistry as a second language for both your ochem class and dat studying. Studying for the test should go along with the classes that way you can make sense of what you learned and commit to memory. When I was an undergraduate, I would use chad's videos for my physics and ochem classes. The best time to take your take your DAT is right after ochem 2. That way you should have ochem fresh on your mind and have taken your freshman level biology class too. As for the PAT portion maybe study 10 to 30 mins a day until you take the DAT.

Thanks for your input. What material or program would you recommend to study and practice the PAT section? From what I read the best would be bootcamp, but that is only a short subscription. I would need something that will last for more than a few months

Thanks for your input. What material or program would you recommend to study and practice the PAT section? From what I read the best would be bootcamp, but that is only a short subscription. I would need something that will last for more than a few months

I took the DAT a couple of weeks ago and for the PAT i only used bootcamp. Bootcamp PAT portion was on par with the DAT. There another popular program called crack the dat. It includes PAT and other portions like sciences(which I don't recommend) but you can buy the PAT alone. Crack the dat PAT license doesn't expire. I've never used that program so I can't vouch for it. You can buy bootcamp PAT separately but since its only 3 month license every time it could get pricey. Since you will focus on your sciences early which is the bulk of the DAT. I think it will give you plenty of time the 3 months before the test to master the PAT portion. Like I said previously when you finish your ochem classes schedule your DAT right after so it will be one less to study for.

Reactions: 1 user