Studying for the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member 072792

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was anyone else completely overwhelmed when they first started studying? I've only been at it 3 days and I keep getting paranoid I'm going to forget stuff

Members don't see this ad.

Was anyone else completely overwhelmed when they first started studying? I've only been at it 3 days and I keep getting paranoid I'm going to forget stuff

Yep the first few days can be overwhelming. Don't worry, you'll get used to it after a while. When do you take your test?

Best thing to do is to make a study schedule for yourself that breaks it all down into bite size days. It seems much more manageable that way, you'll stay organized, and study more effectively. There is a good example of a study schedule at the top of the forums to help you form yours.

It's like this for the majority of people. Make a schedule and stick to it. Once you get into the groove, you'll feel less overwhelmed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm using the sample at the top of the forums and it seems to be going pretty well so far. I'd recommend the second one with chads videos. It's another way to learn the chemistry's without staring at books. I'll also be looking at my previous Ochem professor's videos. He has a good way of explaining mechanisms which I have definitely forgotten since last year. http://www.peter-norris.com/chapters/
I like how that schedule is set up. You learn everything before you start taking practice tests. I'll also have time to go over everything again after the eight weeks because I won't be taking my DAT until August.

Keep calm and good luck!

Preparing for a test that plays a large part in determining your future path will ALWAYS be overwhelming. Sure, studying got easier for me, but it was continuously overwhelming because I knew that my success on this test mattered so much. You learn to deal with it and compartmentalize that feeling, though, so that you can learn more efficiently. Don't worry! Things will be fine. I also constantly worried that I didn't retain anything and was still doubting myself even up until test day. It got to the point, though, where I just couldn't stand studying anymore. I figured that meant I needed to just suck it up and go for it. And guess what? I realized I had retained stuff! :)

Best of luck! :D

Guins330 apparently we go to the same school! But thanks for the advice everyone, ill definitely check out the study schedules