Studying for the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wclubin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
lkasjdf

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
wclubin said:
I just started looking into this. What is the best way to prepare for the DAT? Should I get the Kaplan DAT book and study that? Would that be good enough?

thanks

I have kaplan blue book and i think it's good and easy way to start.
Don't buy Barron's DAT since it has so many errors. But i got it because it was only 16 bucks (compared to over 50dollars of Kaplan Blue book and many others), and I also could use the outline in it. I think outline itself is good enough to take my 16 bucks so i have no regret.

Schaum's outline has tons of information. I got Schaum's easy outline and it makes the outline even harder so just get outline, not the easy outline.

If you are new, Kaplan blue book and Barron's are easy start.
If you are really good, then go for DAT destroyer and Schaum's.

I never tried DAT achiever and Top score but I heard that many ppl have it. But it's computer based test so i believe it doesn't have the outlines to help u as much as the others.

I am also planning to take Kaplan DAT course even though I heard that's it's not that helpful.

joonkimdds said:
I have kaplan blue book and i think it's good and easy way to start.
Don't buy Barron's DAT since it has so many errors. But i got it because it was only 16 bucks (compared to over 50dollars of Kaplan Blue book and many others), and I also could use the outline in it. I think outline itself is good enough to take my 16 bucks so i have no regret.

Schaum's outline has tons of information. I got Schaum's easy outline and it makes the outline even harder so just get outline, not the easy outline.

If you are new, Kaplan blue book and Barron's are easy start.
If you are really good, then go for DAT destroyer and Schaum's.

I never tried DAT achiever and Top score but I heard that many ppl have it. But it's computer based test so i believe it doesn't have the outlines to help u as much as the others.

I am also planning to take Kaplan DAT course even though I heard that's it's not that helpful.

hey joon,
I think you will find Kaplan's review more helpful than what other people may give them credit for. however, i do not think the class itself is all that helpful (unless you get a great instructor). i think if i had to do it over again, i would just sign up for the online course. the assignments and sample test are awesome. as for the OP, get your hands on as many problems as possible. when it comes to studying for the DAT, i find it truly hard to convince yourself that what your doing is "enough." but of course, some of us are a bit more compulsive than others. gl.

Envision said:
hey joon,
I think you will find Kaplan's review more helpful than what other people may give them credit for. however, i do not think the class itself is all that helpful (unless you get a great instructor). i think if i had to do it over again, i would just sign up for the online course. the assignments and sample test are awesome. as for the OP, get your hands on as many problems as possible. when it comes to studying for the DAT, i find it truly hard to convince yourself that what your doing is "enough." but of course, some of us are a bit more compulsive than others. gl.

I heard that over 80 percent ppl say Kaplan course isn't helpful so get online, but i saw that the difference in cost between online and the class were around $100 and class includes online materials. even though less than 20% ppl say it was useful, i want to bet on 20% and see what happens...my $100 worth that 20% :laugh:

Oh and I actually read "Princeton Review cracking the AP bio exam" in a bookstore before and i thought it was really really good and comfortable. not too hard, not too easy, great font size with picture and so on. So i just spent 12 bucks from ebay to get it including shipping.

I like good and comfortable book rather than Schaum's "I will give u pressure to memorize all of these info with very tiny font size" :D

Members don't see this ad :)
paying 1200 dollars for kaplan online test practice stuff is a major rip off and its not like people dont usually just offer them for free on here.

if you get a friend who has taken the kaplan course, they can re-register for the class adn you can pretend to be him/her and still receive the online course material for only $300. I did it for my one of my friends this year and he gave 500! =)

Notoriousjae said:
paying 1200 dollars for kaplan online test practice stuff is a major rip off and its not like people dont usually just offer them for free on here.

u r saying even the online Kaplan course is bad?

joonkimdds said:
u r saying even the online Kaplan course is bad?

joonkimdds, No i am not saying its bad. What i am saying is, for that much money its not worth it.