Studying for the Dat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doogie Howser

practicing since age 12
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should I do to study for the Dat... i just got the destroyer and it was not what i expected it to be at all, just practice questions. Right now i'm leaning towards just taking out my gen chem, orgo, and bio textbooks and studying them.

what other study guides should i get other than the destroyer?

Members don't see this ad.

What should I do to study for the Dat... i just got the destroyer and it was not what i expected it to be at all, just practice questions. Right now i'm leaning towards just taking out my gen chem, orgo, and bio textbooks and studying them.

you need to have a solid foundation in the sciences before starting destroyer. get a kaplan blue book for chem/organic, and a cliff's ap bio book....study those, take notes, work problems... THEN start the destroyer.

good luck,
jb!:)

I bought the Kaplan blue book, Schaum's Bio, G.Chem, O.Chem books, Achiever, TopScore. Also using the Biology, Organic, math websites. I have the destroyer too, it's to help you practice after you build a solid foundation of the material. Talk with "Lifeisgood" he is very helpful in guiding you in the right direction of study material and methods. :thumbup:

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/
http://science.nhmccd.edu/biol/bio1int.htm
http://www.chem.ucalgary.ca/courses/351/Carey5th/Carey.html

Hope this helps.

Its definitly a good idea to use multiple study guides to help prepare. The Kaplan Blue Book is probably the first book anyone should buy. It goes through the individual subjects on the DAT and does a fairly good job at explaining the key principles you need to know.

The Schaum's outlines for Biology, Chemistry, and Organic Chemistry are like condensed text books. They are cheap and very thorough and are a good to use to get more in depth in the areas where Kaplan is weak in. Schaum's biology is especially good, but so is cliff's AP biology. You could also use your college textbooks, but thats a lot of info to go through and it would be overkill.

Top Score PRO DAT is really just a set of computer practice tests, but its probably the most accurate set of practice tests you will see so I think its worth it. The top score tests are a bit tough so you will likely score slightly better on the real test than what you score on the practice tests.

Yes, you do need somewhat of a foundation before staring your studying. Read through Kaplan, then go over practice questions over and over again until you feel comfortable with them. The Bio in the destroyer is hands down golden. You need to have a foundation in the O'Chem first, then do questions. THe questions I did not know initally, I looked at the answers and formed patterns or trend in Chemistry. Same with the Gen Chem. When I took the DAT, I found that many of the questions were similar to the Destroyer questions. I actually laughed at a few questions on the DAT after doing the challenging questions in the destroyer (this is coming from a person that took a year of chem in 3 months... and I really did not remember any of it). Kaplan has some good stuff on gas rules. I read through their stuff and the destroyer stuff for this section. The hard work will pay off. If you are not getting the O'Chem, I would suggest getting a high yield O chem book and reading it a few times.