Studying for the OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the best way to study for the OAT? Has any one used any computer programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I went with Kaplan, and I think it was well worth the money because of the sample tests and the flashcards with high-yield questions. It's critical that you study for the test by taking sample tests!!! They also give you strategies to tackle some of the more common question types. However, Kaplan will not push you to study harder, so whether you're doing Kaplan or not, it all boils down to your own discipline.

I'd say Kaplan MCAT prep book is really great for the science components of the OAT. For verbal practice, practice, and practice. With the Quant. I bought a couple of books on mathematic skills and review. I was doing badly with word questions so one of the books I bought was basically on how to solve word math questions and that helped a lot. I also referred to Top Score and OAT Achiever to get some practice on the computer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd say Kaplan MCAT prep book is really great for the science components of the OAT. For verbal practice, practice, and practice. With the Quant. I bought a couple of books on mathematic skills and review. I was doing badly with word questions so one of the books I bought was basically on how to solve word math questions and that helped a lot. I also referred to Top Score and OAT Achiever to get some practice on the computer.

Where can I buy the Kaplan MCAT prep book?

If you use the "search this thread" feature, then I bet you can get a whole lot of similar questions and results that pertain to you

one more question about studying:

how much time did you (anyone) devote towards studying for the OAT?

I had about 2 mo. to study for the OAT while at f/t school...
I ended up writing my OAT a week after my finals.

I took the kaplan online course and studying while taking summer courses, it took me almost 3 months to get through all opf the workshops, practice tests and practice oats.