Studying for the pcats

Started by sghani
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sghani

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys!! Someone please help me!! Is there a specific website or somethings that allows me to view an outline of whats going to be on the pcats? I have the kaplan books. Are they enough?

🙂
 
Hey guys!! Someone please help me!! Is there a specific website or somethings that allows me to view an outline of whats going to be on the pcats? I have the kaplan books. Are they enough?

🙂

First of all, if you have the Kaplan book, you should know it's PCAT, not pcats.

Secondly, the PCAT book and your pre-requisite coursework will be more than sufficient for you to destroy the PCAT with an excellent score. I did nothing more than read the Kaplan book and pay attention during class and I did very well on the PCAT - And I am NO science nerd and possess zero special scientific/mathematical aptitude.

Just practice w/ your book and trust it - Kaplan makes their money on these exams and they wouldn't be in the position they are unless they had the right information. Just don't cheat yourself on the practice exams.
 
I'm going to have to disagree with that. Kaplan doesn't do a very good job on the math section or the organic chemistry section. If you remember a lot of the material from your classes then you won't need to supplement but if you don't, you are going to have to find a better source. It just isn't good enough to do well on those parts unless you already know it.

Here is the official site. The candidate booklet on the left side of the page will give you all the info you need.

http://pearsonassess.com/haiweb/Cul...nity/PostSecondary/Products/pcat/pcathome.htm
 
I'm going to have to disagree with that. Kaplan doesn't do a very good job on the math section or the organic chemistry section. If you remember a lot of the material from your classes then you won't need to supplement but if you don't, you are going to have to find a better source. It just isn't good enough to do well on those parts unless you already know it.

Here is the official site. The candidate booklet on the left side of the page will give you all the info you need.

http://pearsonassess.com/haiweb/Cul...nity/PostSecondary/Products/pcat/pcathome.htm

I explained in my post that the Kaplan book in concert with pre-requisite coursework was the best study method.

I don't think any book could take someone with zero knowledge of Orgo and math to a competitive PCAT score, and it's a tacit assumption that anyone taking the PCAT has at the very least, a working knowledge of the material.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I explained in my post that the Kaplan book in concert with pre-requisite coursework was the best study method.

I don't think any book could take someone with zero knowledge of Orgo and math to a competitive PCAT score, and it's a tacit assumption that anyone taking the PCAT has at the very least, a working knowledge of the material.

Even if you had marginal knowledge, it isn't enough of a review. They spend one chapter on all of organic chemistry and twelve chapters on general chem. There isn't even enough there to jog your memory on certain concepts. For example, if I don't remember how to name an aldehyde, there is nothing in that book to guide me. If I don't remember the difference between alpha and beta decay, the book will steer me in the right direction. It is fine for general chemistry but it does a terrible job at organic. Math is the same way. They don't even discuss certain concepts at all. If I used Kaplan alone, my score would have been far worse than it turned out to be.
 
Even if you had marginal knowledge, it isn't enough of a review. They spend one chapter on all of organic chemistry and twelve chapters on general chem. There isn't even enough there to jog your memory on certain concepts. For example, if I don't remember how to name an aldehyde, there is nothing in that book to guide me. If I don't remember the difference between alpha and beta decay, the book will steer me in the right direction. It is fine for general chemistry but it does a terrible job at organic. Math is the same way. They don't even discuss certain concepts at all. If I used Kaplan alone, my score would have been far worse than it turned out to be.

Fair enough - Unique experiences are unique.

Thanks for the input =)
 
Hey guys!! Someone please help me!! Is there a specific website or somethings that allows me to view an outline of whats going to be on the pcats? I have the kaplan books. Are they enough?

🙂

My advice...do lots of practice Qs and build your stamina for the hours the test will be given. Practice Practice Practice !!!
 
When I registered for the PCAT, I only put PharmCAS as a score recipient.
I know that PharmCAS will forward my score to pharmacy schools. But I just found out that some schools (such as USN, University of Missi) don't particpate PharmCAS.

How can I add more recipients? thanks for your help.
 
When I registered for the PCAT, I only put PharmCAS as a score recipient.
I know that PharmCAS will forward my score to pharmacy schools. But I just found out that some schools (such as USN, University of Missi) don't particpate PharmCAS.

How can I add more recipients? thanks for your help.

You are going to have to go to the PCAT website and order additional transcripts for each of the schools. Unfortunately, it is going to cost you $20 a school.
 
Hey guys!! Someone please help me!! Is there a specific website or somethings that allows me to view an outline of whats going to be on the pcats? I have the kaplan books. Are they enough?

🙂


The main pcat registration website has the test sections, and how much each one is timed. If your fine by how your performing in the kaplan book, then try out the real practice exam, again on the registration website..
 
First of all, if you have the Kaplan book, you should know it's PCAT, not pcats.

Secondly, the PCAT book and your pre-requisite coursework will be more than sufficient for you to destroy the PCAT with an excellent score. I did nothing more than read the Kaplan book and pay attention during class and I did very well on the PCAT - And I am NO science nerd and possess zero special scientific/mathematical aptitude.

Just practice w/ your book and trust it - Kaplan makes their money on these exams and they wouldn't be in the position they are unless they had the right information. Just don't cheat yourself on the practice exams.

Passion, I just noticed that the OP has the Kaplan bookS as well. Maybe he/she has a pluralization problems.
 
Hey guys!! Someone please help me!! Is there a specific website or somethings that allows me to view an outline of whats going to be on the pcats? I have the kaplan books. Are they enough?

🙂
go home and dig up your old high school and college textbooks that you used for biology, chemistry and calculus.Those REALLY help. I'm studying for the PCATS using Dr. Collins and my OLD textbooks. they have the core concepts and makes life easier😎
 
Kaplan is basically enough for biology even for someone who does not have adequate knowledge in areas like anatomy/physiology or microbiology. Probably Kaplan's best section of the book.

You definitely need supplements for math and chemistry. Go back to your high school stuff, and go back to your orgo I stuff too.

To outline my studying: I basically peeled through the entire Kaplan book. Bio was obviously most intense with 2/3 of the book about bio stuff, but I try to mix things up by studying some bio and some of the other subjects to keep my brain fresh and maintain a relative degree of interest in the material. Found my old stuff from high school, looked through chemistry and math. Did the practice tests from Pearson, not very well and not in simulated conditions (which I strongly recommend you do them as close to test condition as possible) but still walked out of the real thing and got a pretty decent score. As long as you plan ahead, you'll be perfectly fine.
 
Secondly, the PCAT book and your pre-requisite coursework will be more than sufficient for you to destroy the PCAT with an excellent score. I did nothing more than read the Kaplan book and pay attention during class and I did very well on the PCAT - And I am NO science nerd and possess zero special scientific/mathematical aptitude.

Just practice w/ your book and trust it - Kaplan makes their money on these exams and they wouldn't be in the position they are unless they had the right information. Just don't cheat yourself on the practice exams.

You are very encouraging, good sir, for someone like me who is dreading taking the PCAT (especially the organic section).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad