Studying for USMLE while working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SimonSez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I am getting ready to write USMLE Step 1 but would like some advice as to whether I can study while working or if I should take time off work to study. My current work hours are from 8am to 5pm everyday with 24 hr call days at an interval of about 1 in every 5 days. I have weekends off unless one of my call days falls on a weekend. I am aiming to write the exam sometime in June. Is it possible to get enough studying done with my above working hours or is it advisable that I take some time off?

Members don't see this ad.

depends on how long you finish your basic sciences?
it be better if you could atleast take 4 weeks straight off towards the end and go hardcore

I am in a similar situation. I was working full time as a research fellow and decided now to almost stop working (I work about 12 hours per week now) for the final 4 weeks. First I thought, I can do all the studying while working because there are several hours left per day. I changed my mind a few weeks ago because I realized I need intensive cramming and repetition of all the things in this final phase. This is very difficult if you are worn out after work. You may want to follow doc20's advice and reserve at least a few weeks to full time cramming if possible. However, if you do not care for the scores (just passing) then you might be fine with just solid knowledge.

I sort of got the same question. I am an IMG from Asia. Will be sitting the Step 1 in October 2009 with a full time job but job timings are a little less, like 8.00 am to 2.00 pm 6 days a week with Sundays off. So that makes around 36 hours a week. I know being an IMG I need to study really hard and longer. I'll be starting my prep in the next week. Do you think its possilbe to get good score with a job like this?