-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Studying for written boards
Started by Piebaldi
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
That should be enough to pass. Also get whatever SAE-Ps you can. They are more indicative of the test than SAE-Rs (although those are also helpful).
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think it stands for practitioner? Basically it's for attendings.
Some of the older ones are available for free from AJPMR, and prior to that, Archives PMR. The newer ones I think you have to pay for if you want the answers.
Some of the older ones are available for free from AJPMR, and prior to that, Archives PMR. The newer ones I think you have to pay for if you want the answers.
I hated Cuccurullo. I couldn't stand to read more than 5 pages at a time. I'd read it some in residency. For boards, I just read the high yield areas for board. Usually, there would be a little book sign in the margin to indicated that it was high yield.
I spent almost all my time doing practice questions. The highest quality Qbank was the AAPMR one:
me.aapmr.org
I also did all the question in the Q&A book.
When I found a section I sucked like, like Peds, then I'd go do some reading, and repeat questions until I felt I wasn't so bad anymore.
There was a pmrqbankreview site that I purchased. But it was my least favorite resource.
The 100 free questions were also useful.
But, honestly, when I was taking the test, it looked nothing like any of my prep material. In fact, while I was taking it, I thought I was failing. I got home afterwards, and all I wanted to do was wrap myself in a soft blanket, hide under my bed, and cry in shame.
But I was never in danger of failing. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't panic. You've learned a lot in residency, whether you realize it or not. 90% of first time test takers pass. Good luck!
I spent almost all my time doing practice questions. The highest quality Qbank was the AAPMR one:
Certification Exam Prep Qbank
I also did all the question in the Q&A book.
When I found a section I sucked like, like Peds, then I'd go do some reading, and repeat questions until I felt I wasn't so bad anymore.
There was a pmrqbankreview site that I purchased. But it was my least favorite resource.
The 100 free questions were also useful.
But, honestly, when I was taking the test, it looked nothing like any of my prep material. In fact, while I was taking it, I thought I was failing. I got home afterwards, and all I wanted to do was wrap myself in a soft blanket, hide under my bed, and cry in shame.
But I was never in danger of failing. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't panic. You've learned a lot in residency, whether you realize it or not. 90% of first time test takers pass. Good luck!
Last edited:
1. Board vitals app on phone, PM&R review
2. Lynn Weiss app on phone
3. pmrqbankreview.com review questions
4. Prior SAEs
5. pmrrc.com is another qbank
And you'll be set.
Where to get old SAEs?
Where to get old SAEs?
It's one of those things your senior resident hands down to you. Or sometimes it floats around the forums.
I hated Cuccurullo. I couldn't stand to read more than 5 pages at a time. I'd read it some in residency. For boards, I just read the high yield areas for board. Usually, there would be a little book sign in the margin to indicated that it was high yield.
I spent almost all my time doing practice questions. The highest quality Qbank was the AAPMR one:
Certification Exam Prep Qbank
me.aapmr.org
I also did all the question in the Q&A book.
When I found a section I sucked like, like Peds, then I'd go do some reading, and repeat questions until I felt I wasn't so bad anymore.
There was a pmrqbankreview site that I purchased. But it was my least favorite resource.
The 100 free questions were also useful.
But, honestly, when I was taking the test, it looked nothing like any of my prep material. In fact, while I was taking it, I thought I was failing. I got home afterwards, and all I wanted to do was wrap myself in a soft blanket, hide under my bed, and cry in shame.
But I was never in danger of failing. I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't panic. You've learned a lot in residency, whether you realize it or not. 90% of first time test takers pass. Good luck!
This is exactly what I did as well. I found Cuccurullo boring and I'd fall asleep. I did the AAPMR review bank and the Q&A book and app that Demos Publishing sold.
I also felt like crying after it.
I also passed.
I really do think Q-banks are the best prep (as long as you read why you got the answer wrong OR right) and use review books as a supplement for your weak area when you notice you're testing poorly in a specific area.
This is exactly what I did as well. I found Cuccurullo boring and I'd fall asleep. I did the AAPMR review bank and the Q&A book and app that Demos Publishing sold.
I also felt like crying after it.
I also passed.
I really do think Q-banks are the best prep (as long as you read why you got the answer wrong OR right) and use review books as a supplement for your weak area when you notice you're testing poorly in a specific area.
What about Peds and Orthotics/Prosthetics? What resources for those? I think those two topics in part due to limited exposure are some of the most challenging for me.
What about Peds and Orthotics/Prosthetics? What resources for those? I think those two topics in part due to limited exposure are some of the most challenging for me.
Honestly those were all the resources I used. I did have great exposure to O&P and took the RIC course early in residency, and my peds exposure was decent. Still, peds was always my weakest area but I didn’t go outside the qbanks and cucurullo.
Honestly I just didn’t have the time to review everything I needed. Its easy to get caught up in having too many resources as well. Occasionally I found myself going to lecture notes or a definitive text, but it was typically more for my curiosity. I really don’t think anything beyond good qbanks and cucurullo are needed.
Pocket PM&R isn’t bad for on the go. (Nor is the qbank app)
This is exactly what I did as well. I found Cuccurullo boring and I'd fall asleep. I did the AAPMR review bank and the Q&A book and app that Demos Publishing sold.
I also felt like crying after it.
I also passed.
I really do think Q-banks are the best prep (as long as you read why you got the answer wrong OR right) and use review books as a supplement for your weak area when you notice you're testing poorly in a specific area.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the Q&A book ? which book is this? and which apps that demos publishing sells? Thanks again.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the Q&A book ? which book is this? and which apps that demos publishing sells? Thanks again.
This is the newest edition of the book:
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Q&A Review, Second Edition (Book + Free App)
<p>•Note to Readers:• Publisher does not guarantee quality or access to any included digital components if book is purchased through a third-party seller.</p><p>•Now with a free mobile & web app with print purchase!•</p><p>Re
I had the old version. Demos (part of Springer now) publishes quite a few PM&R books, including Cucurullo. You can get the Q&A book from Amazon, but I'm not sure if the app is included if you go that route.
Where to get old SAEs?
PM me your email address.
Can you elaborate on what you mean by the Q&A book ? which book is this? and which apps that demos publishing sells? Thanks again.
My advice is to look at 2 or 3 sources that you really like, then spend all/most of your time with those. It's easy to get a million sources and barely used them. I can't recommend the AAPMR Qbank enough.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My advice is to look at 2 or 3 sources that you really like, then spend all/most of your time with those. It's easy to get a million sources and barely used them. I can't recommend the AAPMR Qbank enough.
Yeah I don't want to get a ton of resources - it becomes overwhelming and stressful - I have read close to 300 pages in Cucurrulo so I'm going to stick with that. I think I am going to buy the AAPM&R qbank as well for the questions.