Studying in Australia or The United States

Started by Shinyness
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Shinyness

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there,

I am a high school student sitting Cambridge A-Level Examinations. I have a few questions.

For the MCAT, what level of physics would i require?

Secondly, I have heard there is a prejudice against FMG in the US, is this true? I am interested in practicing medicine in the states, Is a degree at either the University of Melbourne or University of Sydney widely regarded in America?

Also, this question is a bit unrelated, but what College's in the US would offer Financial Aid to International Students, I currently have 5 A's at AS Level, (Chemistry, Biology, English Literature, Mathematics, Classical Studies) and have 4 predicted A's for A2 Level, (Chem, Bio, Math, Classics).

Thanks a lot
Shinyness
 
Your best bid will be a mbbch degree in aust. At some university's there is a GEMP programs that's like the US program
I strongly recommend that u study in a common wealth country
Or maybe take a look at SGU in the Caribbean
 
-MCAT tests college level algebra-based physics.

-There is a prejudice against FMGs. Melbourne and Sydney are recognized but they are still FMGs.

-Most US colleges are not need-blind to internationals. That means that when they consider you for admission, they will take your financial need into account. If they are not need-blind it doesn't mean that they won't give any FA, it's that if you have the means to easily pay the CoA then your chances are much better. I don't remember all the schools that are need-blind to students including internationals, but they are the ones with enormous endowments where admission is a crapshoot (Harvard, MIT, etc.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks a lot guys. One last question, If I were to get into a US medical school that had a lower world ranking than USYD or UniMelb, Would it be advisible to go to that one? ( If I wanted to practice in the US)

Thanks
 
Thanks a lot guys. One last question, If I were to get into a US medical school that had a lower world ranking than USYD or UniMelb, Would it be advisible to go to that one? ( If I wanted to practice in the US)

Thanks

World rankings mean next to nothing. If you want to practice in the US, go to a US medical school. It doesn't matter if, say Boston University is lower ranked than Sydney or Melbourne, because residency programs will be much more familiar with BU's medical school than any Australian school. I don't even think there is a world ranking of medical schools from a reputable source, only of universities in general.