Studying in Spain?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souvy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have been fascinated with the idea of studying medicine in Spain and I would appreciate it if anyone planning to or currently studying in Spain could throw some more light on the Spanish educational system and foreigners studying medicine in Spain.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I'm studying in Spain...it's ok. I don't know which languages you can speak, because people in Spain rarely speak a second language. My classmates feel like "ill" when teachers ask them to search or read something in english. Anyway, be careful if you want to go to colleges at Catalunya, Basc Country or Galicia because there they tend to speak Catalan, Basc and galician (?) and it's quite different from Spanish.

About the educational system it's ok, talking about my college the teachers seem clever despite some seem to be arrogant, we get some support extra class. Of course the "curriculum" varies from College to College. Anyway, if you want to know more, just ask me.

Thanks :). I'm so happy to get a feedback. What are living conditions like, is it easy for foreigners to settle, is it expensive?, How much would i need per month to settle?.
I would also like to know if the Universities have a preparatory year for languages and sciences.
Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how much you want to pay, as for me I'm paying about $400 USD for a flat with one room. Of course where I live isn't expensive as Barcelona, Madrid or Bilbao.
For other things, you'll need about $1000 USD.
No, no preparatory years (at least mine doesn't have). I don't know if you're already studying medicinem if you are not you must do some examination, I guess. It's six exams: 2 about Spanish, one about foreign language. And then pick 3 from these 6 subjects: Physics, Chemistry, Maths, Biology, Technical Draw and Geology.

Salut! I am an American student without a bachelor's degree and am very interested in studying medicine in Spain!

1. Which school has the best English Medical program
  2. Is it taught all in English?
  3. What are all the entry requirements for American students or Non EU students?
  4. Are there any scholarships offered to Non EU students?

If you can refer me to the best contact (preferably in English), that would be great,
Nicole

HELLO , I M RECENTLY GRADUATED IN MEDICINE (MD) FROM CUBA AND I WANT TO DO SPECIALIZATION FROM SPAIN , IF ANY BODY CAN GIVE ME SUGGESTION HOW CAN I APPLY AND WHICH UNIVERSITY IS GOOD AND WHAT ARE THE COSTS

I would like to go to Spain to start the Medical University. Does someone know how to apply (what requirements I need)? Any advice? Thank you

Salut! I am an American student without a bachelor's degree and am very interested in studying medicine in Spain!

1. Which school has the best English Medical program
  2. Is it taught all in English?
  3. What are all the entry requirements for American students or Non EU students?
  4. Are there any scholarships offered to Non EU students?

If you can refer me to the best contact (preferably in English), that would be great,
Nicole
Hi Nicole. I am currently doing hardcore research into going to a medical school in Spain so although I am not there yet I can answer some questions.
To answer 1. & 2. - NONE of the medical schools in Spain are in English. All are in Spanish. If this isn't a problem you can go to a Spanish learning institute in the city you want to study so you can learn the language before applying.
3. if you have an american bachelor's degree, you won't have to take the Selectividad (I believe their called) exams as you have done the prereqs. you will have to take a proficiency test in Spanish however and get your degree validated.
4. Scholarships are offered to international students by most all of the med schools I've looked at, however the public universities are about 2,000 euros a year so it's not actually much of a financial burden.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to go to Spain to start the Medical University. Does someone know how to apply (what requirements I need)? Any advice? Thank you
If you want to avoid the difficult entrance exams, you should et a Bachelor's (undergraduate) degree in your country. From there you apply you have to get your degree validated by your school of choice and take the Spanish exams to show you're proficient in the language. I'm not 100% sure about what exams you're completely exempt from but I know that you definitely don't have to take the Selectvidad

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Nicole. I am currently doing hardcore research into going to a medical school in Spain so although I am not there yet I can answer some questions.
To answer 1. & 2. - NONE of the medical schools in Spain are in English. All are in Spanish. If this isn't a problem you can go to a Spanish learning institute in the city you want to study so you can learn the language before applying.
3. if you have an american bachelor's degree, you won't have to take the Selectividad (I believe their called) exams as you have done the prereqs. you will have to take a proficiency test in Spanish however and get your degree validated.
4. Scholarships are offered to international students by most all of the med schools I've looked at, however the public universities are about 2,000 euros a year so it's not actually much of a financial burden.
Hope this helps!

Hi futuredrchris. When you say "Scholarships are offered to international students by most all of the med schools I've looked at," are you referring to public universities only or also private schools? I'm also doing a lot research and currently considering Navarra, which is private and doesn't seem to have scholarships for the medicine degree for US students, from what I can tell. Thanks!