Studying in US vs Ireland

3on!

Reaction score
Hello, international high school graduate here. I got accepted into UCLA, but I also recently had the chance to apply to RCSI. Both will be covered by government scholarships, so money isn't an issue. My goal is to eventually get a residency in the US.

I'd imagine going to UCLA will help me build a strong resume and acquire more experiences, but is the time, effort, and pressure compared to going directly to RCSI (or studying in my country) worth it? I heard that RCSI is pretty good, prepares students for US residencies fairly well, and has a bunch of research and volunteering programs. I could also just study medicine in my country, but getting research and volunteering experiences will be tougher due to their scarcity. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If your goal is eventually to do residency or practice medicine in any context in the US, going to college here and earning your status as a US resident will make your pathway much easier. Few medical schools accept international students, and even fewer residency programs accept international medical graduates. Practicing in your home country is obviously up to you, but if you want to practice in the US, I’d go to UCLA.

Reactions: 1 users