studying medicine in france

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ss2000

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi im a senior this year and im preparing for my college application but im having trouble finding a college and a scholarship if there is for first year students and i cant figure out where exactly in france for an arab like me to live

Members don't see this ad.

As written in my PM to you, I'll place my reply here as well in case anyone else searches for information comes across it:

I'm not sure how much you know about the selection process in France but I'll assume it's relatively basic. Unlike many Anglo-Saxon countries, there are very few entrance criteria. As long as you have a high school degree and some basic science courses, you'll get a place on the first year course. However, France and Switzerland run a system called Numerus Clausus where there is a fixed number of places every year that is allocated to successful students. In other words, you will undergo a rigorous one-year selection at the end of which you will sit a very tough exam and then classified against your classmates. The pass rates vary from school to school but the lowest is in the single digits.

I'm going to warn you now: your French needs to be good in order to keep up with the intensity of the course. You'll be competing with the brightest students in France so you really don't want to spend time not understanding the material being taught.

Non-EU students have a separate application process to EU students. More information can be found here: https://ressources.campusfrance.org/catalogues_recherche/domaines/en/medecine_en.pdf and here: Première année