Studying Medicine - the Netherlands

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jojo4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!
I hope hear I could find an answer to my wife's situation.
My wife and I are living in The Netherlands, she is dutch while I am from Greece, after my studies and working here.

Although my wife did a Master program of Biomedical Science (in Amsterdam), her passion was always becoming a MD. I want to help her to find her way to enroll to medicine school.
She is stating that it's expensive as a Master graduate to apply to medical school and if she would go for it, it will 2 times more expensive.
She is a doctor in her bones. I want to help her, but my "google abilities" failed so far.
Well, my questions are:
1. Is it possible to apply as a master graduate to medical school?
2. Will it be possible to skip some of the courses/years, mentioning her previous degrees?
3. Is there a person (who works for university) to consult with? Regarding funding (scholarships), housing and requirements?
4. How can I find scholarships for dutch natives? in English, please

Thank you for your attention.
Have a good one!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Is it possible to apply as a master graduate to medical school?
Yes. From my understanding, European medical schools do not discriminate based on age nor prior education. The majority of schools will require some form of examination to enter, either internal or external (e.g. GAMSAT).
2. Will it be possible to skip some of the courses/years, mentioning her previous degrees?

Again, from my knowledge, this is very unlikely except for a few odd cases. I know that in the Germany, for example, this can happen but in NL there is a very strict numerus fixus for entry and as such all candidates need to face the same conditions.

3. Is there a person (who works for university) to consult with? Regarding funding (scholarships), housing and requirements?

This should be pretty self-explanatory. Please contact the individual universities.

4. How can I find scholarships for dutch natives? in English, please

See above.

Both Groningen and Maastricht have international medical tracks (taught in English).