Stupid clinical question: help me out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maverikk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I often ask my pharmacists at my hospital theoretical questions and they are ballers about explaining why some things aren't possible so let me ask you: why can't you give povidone-iodine intravenously? It's a broad spectrum abx used in surgery, I understand it wouldn't be good for the thyroid but is this the only reason why...I was just thinking about this because of a case of KPC bacteremia we had recently. Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically:

If you got a high enough concentration in the blood to kill the bug, it would probably kill the patient too.

systemically iodine is rapidly metabolized and sequestered in the thyroid as u speculated. Prior to this it would be potentially corrosive to the peripheral vasculature although I found no direct information from which to draw this conclusion. Only indirect via information on oral administration.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search

Ultimately I gather it would need a specialized method of delivery to override these negatives. :shrug: