Stupid clinical question: help me out

Started by Maverikk
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maverikk

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all, I often ask my pharmacists at my hospital theoretical questions and they are ballers about explaining why some things aren't possible so let me ask you: why can't you give povidone-iodine intravenously? It's a broad spectrum abx used in surgery, I understand it wouldn't be good for the thyroid but is this the only reason why...I was just thinking about this because of a case of KPC bacteremia we had recently. Thanks for the help
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Basically:

If you got a high enough concentration in the blood to kill the bug, it would probably kill the patient too.
 
systemically iodine is rapidly metabolized and sequestered in the thyroid as u speculated. Prior to this it would be potentially corrosive to the peripheral vasculature although I found no direct information from which to draw this conclusion. Only indirect via information on oral administration.

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search

Ultimately I gather it would need a specialized method of delivery to override these negatives. :shrug: