stupid personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhoaTasneem

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im sooooo lost on my persoal stament. What TOPICS should be adressed. I am haveing so much tourble answering the pharm cas question. I;ve been working on thsi stupid thing for two months and I've got nothing!!

someone please help....or tell me where I can get some!!PLEASE!!

I've got a 3.45 GPA overall, with a STRONG trend of improvement.

And I have an awsome pharmacist letter of rec. can I count on any of thsi to carry me though if omy PS is not so great. I want to go to WEstern, UOP, or USC.

Members don't see this ad.

WhoaTasneem said:
Im sooooo lost on my persoal stament. What TOPICS should be adressed. I am haveing so much tourble answering the pharm cas question. I;ve been working on thsi stupid thing for two months and I've got nothing!!

And I have an awsome pharmacist letter of rec. can I count on any of thsi to carry me though if omy PS is not so great. I want to go to WEstern, UOP, or USC.

WHat school did u attend and what was ur major? thanks.

steveysmith54 said:
WHat school did u attend and what was ur major? thanks.

I go to Cal Poly Pomona, fourth year Biotechnology major, chem minor, busniess coursework, pretty decent resume of extracurricular activites inculding treas of club, relief organization work, one year pharm clerk 15-20 hrs during shcool time, full time during breaks......

Members don't see this ad :)
WhoaTasneem said:

WhoaTasneem said:
I go to Cal Poly Pomona, fourth year Biotechnology major, chem minor, busniess coursework, pretty decent resume of extracurricular activites inculding treas of club, relief organization work, one year pharm clerk 15-20 hrs during shcool time, full time during breaks......

spelling bee champion? ;)

Here is the angle I took with the pharmcas question. It's pretty simple and straightforward. I took my work experience as a personal trainer and applied it as a form of preventive medicine and its relation to pharmacy. My work experience is probably something most admissions committees don't see that often. If you have a similar background, apply it to your career in pharmacy and how the experience will help make you a better pharmacist.

I think what really makes a good personal statement is your honesty. It doesn't require some elaborate story or act of brilliance - just what you really want to do with a degree in pharmacy!

Write about your experience in pharmacy, what attracts you to it as a profession, why it is a good fit for your personality, and what your goals are in the career.

By the time you finish that you should be WAAAAY over PharmCAS's allowable characters. Then edit. :)

Or take one area of focus of your life in which you've consistently participated from your high school & thru your undergrad years - perhaps your area of volunteer or extracurricular activities. Try to find an part of yourself in which you were challenged, but perservered and still find yourself enjoy doing. Then relate that to pharmacy.

For example...you might have demonstrated an interest in basketweaving as a teenager, but altho found it fun, you felt you could contribute not just as a learner of basketweaving, but as a teacher of basketweaving. After doing that.....you found you wanted to become a force for change in the basketweaving societies...so you ran and became president of the local chapter of basketweaving society. You found in yourself the ability to not only see a challenge, but displayed initiative by becoming a leader. So...altho pharmacy is a different and more complex knowledge base than your basketweaving hobby, you'd like to become not just knowlegable in medications and their use, but also a positive force to further education of patients and colleagues and to contribute with your background in leadership to further the profession of pharmacy in the 21st century. yada, yada, yada......

Almost anything can be turned around to be a good part of who you are. You just gotta relate that good thing in yourself to pharmacy.........good luck.