Stupid Question about taking a gap year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seyhee0919

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently waitlisted at UF and Rochester right now...and while I have hopes of getting into at least one of them, I don't want to be left out in the cold and find that I'm not going to be in medical school later this year. So I've started devising some plans just in case for a gap year which would include strengthening certain clinical experiences/medical volunteer hours. My stupid question is this: if I want to apply for the 2012-2013 cycle, and the application opens up in May, wouldn't my application look exactly the same as it did for this last cycle? I haven't really added anything significant this senior year, and if I did it would already be updated in each school's files no?

In other words: I feel like for my application to have any added weight, I need to apply for 2013-2014 rather than 2012-2013. The catch to all of this is that, for this past cycle, I sent in secondaries somewhat late (starting Sept/Oct) because I didn't get the results of my MCAT until early September. So if I applied/did everything June 1 for AMCAS this year, maybe things would be slightly different?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same situation. Waitlisted everywhere. i was wondering the same. any ideas anyone?

I would get started now so you have SOMETHING new to put on your app and then update schools if anything meaningful happens after (leadership position, award, etc.). FWIW, I did all of my shadowing in May/June and put it on my app when I submitted in early June. You don't have to submit your app on June 1st...make sure you have something considerable to add to your app or it might not reflect well upon you.

Members don't see this ad :)
: if I want to apply for the 2012-2013 cycle, and the application opens up in May, wouldn't my application look exactly the same as it did for this last cycle?

Re-write your personal statement and all of your secondaries to make them stronger. Have others read them, come up with a theme, and tell a cohesive and compelling story. This can help frame your application differently.

If you don't care too much, I'd say wait another year! I dont get how on earth they think you can change your app significantly in 2 months. I applied 2009-2010, took a few years haha, it was actually the best thing ever! Got some life experience, did my EMT, lived in Spain, and currently have a good 6 months as a medical assistant under my belt! Hope it works out! I'm reapplying 2012-2013!

I believe that everything happens for a reason. When I got rejected, it made me realize that they were right and I wasnt ready to go then. It was extremely refreshing to take a year away from everything (well ok two)! Now I'm back and really excited to get started in school!

I agree with the above poster.. call the schools you didn't get into and ask why.. Also, consider other things about your first application such as what did your school list look like? Did you apply broadly enough and to enough schools? If your app was waiting on that MCAT score, that could have been detrimental to your chances at many schools.

If your stats are good enough to get you secondaries at many schools, then do something amazing this summer and tell them about it in your secondaries and/or an update letter before/after your interview.

I think that sending in your apps early will make a difference.

Secondly, apply to different schools. Your app might be the same-old-same-old to the schools you've already applied to, but it will certainly be new to schools you haven't applied to.

The fact that you were interviewed at Rochester tells me you are a relatively competitive applicant. Did you aim too high last cycle though? Why don't you add some more schools in the 40-70 range if you didnt do that last time.

I agree. First call the places your got rejected at and verify if it was timing or something else in your app. If it is timing then have everything ready to go...but don't submit the first day the system is open. Give them a day to work out the "kinks" so your app goes in smoothly. If it is your app then read on:

Second review your application and PS and make sure there isn't anything you can rewrite, add to, or streamline to make you look more attractive to the adcoms. Relook at where and how many places you applied to. are your grades and MCAT strong?

Third, you have time to add more cool expereinces.. While I did this program in my fourth year of medschool you could also do it before: www.medspanish.com
Or go get new shadowing/volunteering experience which is less expensive. lol

Fourth, Check out the oldpremeds.com conference coming up....3 days of experts sharing professional advice on how to get into med school!!!

Fifth, Do not give up hope....I had a classmate literally get called two days after lectures started and a few called during orientation because people WD, decided to postpone a year, or didn't show! So if you can be prepared to show up...:)
Good luck!
Marcia

I guess I should add that I know NOTHING about HTML and am too busy with the human interaction side of my business to learn.

Web Design Florida