Stupid Question: Residency Programs and Legacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idahomie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm aware that Residency Programs do not need to be affiliated with a medical school for accreditation. Similarly, Residency programs that are affiliated with medical school are still completely separate entities, at least from my understanding.

Considering all of that, does attending a Residency Program affiliated with a med school/undergrad (like the Ivies) bestow any sort of benefit or legacy-effect for family members/children trying to be admitted to either undergrad or medical school at the affiliated university? So if some dude does his residency at Stanford, would that make it easier for his kids to get in?

I would think that this would have no effect since you aren't really going to school there; you're only working at an affiliated hospital. You also aren't getting a new degree in your residency training, so I doubt the school entity would have records of you attending. It seems like this wouldn't help the guy in getting his kids into Stanford beyond them saying their dad lived in Palo Alto for a couple of years, lol.

I know some med schools specifically ask if you have any ties to the school, including their residency programs, but this obviously is not the case for every school.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm aware that Residency Programs do not need to be affiliated with a medical school for accreditation. Similarly, Residency programs that are affiliated with medical school are still completely separate entities, at least from my understanding.

Considering all of that, does attending a Residency Program affiliated with a med school/undergrad (like the Ivies) bestow any sort of benefit or legacy-effect for family members/children trying to be admitted to either undergrad or medical school at the affiliated university? So if some dude does his residency at Stanford, would that make it easier for his kids to get in?

I would think that this would have no effect since you aren't really going to school there; you're only working at an affiliated hospital. You also aren't getting a new degree in your residency training, so I doubt the school entity would have records of you attending. It seems like this wouldn't help the guy in getting his kids into Stanford beyond them saying their dad lived in Palo Alto for a couple of years, lol.

I know some med schools specifically ask if you have any ties to the school, including their residency programs, but this obviously is not the case for every school.

Does anyone have experience with this?
Some schools consider residents and fellows as alumni. Whether it counts or not, it will be nice talking point during the interviews. my kid interviewed at the school my spouse trained and it was brought up during the interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It does in some private schools, probably not as much in the state schools. Of the 4 schools I have worked in (all private) , this would be regarded as a connection to the school.

But the effect of a legacy connection is minimal in the final acceptance decision. Not as important as it is in undergraduate admissions where it carries a higher weightage.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did fellowship at a facility affiliated with Northwestern/Feinberg SOM/McGaw. Their alumni association tries to claim my alumnus status...I get fundraising calls, their alumni magazine for both the undergrad campus and the medical school/center, etc. So they like to treat me like I have special status, and I have no doubt that were I to become a renowned leader in my field they would stake a claim to my success, but I doubt that it would actually get my kids very far in any way or at any stage of education.

Reactions: 2 users
Sometimes an old timer on the adcom will recognize the name of an applicant's parent shown on the AMCAS application, particularly if the applicant has listed the parent's residency or fellowship institution and location as highest education attained. (It is Graduate Medical Education so it is education and the institution is an alma mater). That might get you a courtesy interview but no bump in terms of getting an offer -- you need to reel that in on your own based on the application and interview.

Reactions: 3 users
Sometimes an old timer on the adcom will recognize the name of an applicant's parent shown on the AMCAS application, particularly if the applicant has listed the parent's residency or fellowship institution and location as highest education attained. (It is Graduate Medical Education so it is education and the institution is an alma mater). That might get you a courtesy interview but no bump in terms of getting an offer -- you need to reel that in on your own based on the application and interview.
Agree, my kid's A was nothing to do with parent's fellowship but based on his app. It was fun for him to say he went to daycare at the T5 school.

Agree, my kid's A was nothing to do with parent's fellowship but based on his app. It was fun for him to say he went to daycare at the T5 school.
I'm sure not nearly as much fun as it is for all of us to keep hearing, over and over and over and over again, that he received an A at a T5 school, especially when it has absolutely no relevance to the thread. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

P.S. -- I don't say this to put your kid down in any way, because he undoubtedly is a great applicant, had a great cycle, and is destined to be a great physician, but, did he get into EVERY T5 to which he applied, with or without a connection? If not, then, while he might very well have been admitted with no connection, having a connection AND being admitted is not exactly proof that the A had nothing to do with the connection. NOT getting into places where you have a connection is the evidence of that!!!

Last edited:
I'm sure not nearly as much fun as it is for all of us to keep hearing, over and over and over and over again, that he received an A at a T5 school, even when it has absolutely no relevance to the thread. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Since you like to know everything about my kid so I am plugging in every thread so that you don't miss it. In seriousness, does every legacy has value? Do I care about Mankato legacy? I am not revealing where all he got but he has enough T5s and as a popular adcom says there may be 10 schools that are T5 and he doesn't have 10As.

Last edited:
Since you like to know everything about my kid so I am plugging in every thread so that you don't miss it. In seriousness, does every legacy has value? Do I care about Mankato legacy? I am not revealing where all he got but he has enough T5s and as a popular adcom says there may be 10 schools that are T5 and he doesn't have 10As.
I'm sure not nearly as much fun as it is for all of us to keep hearing, over and over and over and over again, that he received an A at a T5 school, especially when it has absolutely no relevance to the thread. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

P.S. -- I don't say this to put your kid down in any way, because he undoubtedly is a great applicant, had a great cycle, and is destined to be a great physician, but, did he get into EVERY T5 to which he applied, with or without a connection? If not, then, while he might very well have been admitted with no connection, having a connection AND being admitted is not exactly proof that the A had nothing to do with the connection. NOT getting into places where you have a connection is the evidence of that!!!
Holy cow...will you two eventually stfu?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I appreciate it!!! :cool:

Does legacy have value? Probably not, but getting in after having it is not proof of that point. And, as parent who wants every little edge for his kid, why have "fun" during an interview, or on an application, mentioning something that you don't hope will help in some little way?

I'm pretty sure your kid did not go out of his way to mention all the things from his childhood he felt were truly irrelevant. And yet, he somehow found a way to work into the conversation that his mom did a fellowship at the "T5" school, by referring to daycare from 20 years ago. I'm pretty sure my daycare experience won't be coming up at any of my interviews, because it is as irrelevant to my application as your kid's was to his, but neither of my parents are doctors, so there will be no reason at all for me to mention it. Now that he has an A it was meaningless, but it wasn't meaningless (at least not to him) when he mentioned it.

Holy cow...will you two eventually stfu?
Sure, I stopped responding for a while but the old itch comes back especially when kid is mentioned but I should know better.