Stupid question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nothing101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
Ok this is a stupid question but do you really have to graduate from college? Can't you just take the prereqs or test out of them? And take the mcat and get into a med school

Members don't see this ad.

Didn't Rand paul fail to finish his Baylor undergrad degree and went on to go to Duke medical school. Don't think that can happen now a days now

Members don't see this ad :)
Back in the day they only required 90 hours and would let you in, kinda like some pharmacy schools are (or were at least, don't kill me pharmacists if it isn't still the case). But almost every or every school requires a degree for you to matriculate. Also, even if it didn't - can you imagine how well you would have to do to be competitive with people who have accomplished more than you (degrees, classes and course load undertaken) in order to stand out? Most of medical school admissions is being better than other applicants, not being just good enough.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi
Ok this is a stupid question but do you really have to graduate from college? Can't you just take the prereqs or test out of them? And take the mcat and get into a med school

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/apply-to-uc-davis-med-school-without-a-degree.1220477/

Is it possible to apply and get in with only 90 semester units completed?? Has ANYONE heard of this?

"and three years (90 semester hours or 135 quarter hours) in an accredited college or university that include the specific requirements listed below."

Required college-level courses (verified by AMCAS):
  • Biological Sciences: 1 year
  • Chemistry, general and organic sequence: 2 years
  • Physics: 1 year
most medical schools have this clause and very very very few applicants are admitted via this route. It is essentially a holdover from pre-AMCAS days when highly successful undergraduates were "recruited" directly at junior year, typically by home institutions medical school. Columbia was known for doing this for some 30 years ago, placing many of its UGs in their own med school as well as other schools. After 1st year of med school they were awarded a UG degree from home school.

nowadays the 90 credits is used as a minimum standard by most schools, often as the needed credits to even apply.

I would suggest this is for "Sheldon" like students who are on an incredibly high academic track. Perhaps 5 applicants a year across the entire country-wide applicant pool get into any medical school under this provision. With California being the most competitive state for medical school with about 15% in state applicants getting an acceptance in any UC school (versus 40% national acceptance rate), I would not suggest this route unless I had an extraordinary applicant.

Reactions: 1 users