Sub-I question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cytoskelement

Dr. D.R.E.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the infancy of planning ahead for my fourth year. I will be teaching a group of rising 2nd year students for the month of July and plan on doing a required AHEC rotation in August for Indian Health. Although I still have much of 3rd year ahead of me, I am heavily leaning to anesthesia so far. I plan on doing a sub-I in september. First question - is september too late (ie should i swtich my ahec to sept. and do the sub-i in august - does it even matter) At my school (an I'm sure most others as well), I'm required to do 2 sub-I's. Is it advantageous to do both in medicine or 1 med and surg? (as far as knowledge is concerned - not padding the whole CV per se) Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

cytoskelement said:
I'm in the infancy of planning ahead for my fourth year. I will be teaching a group of rising 2nd year students for the month of July and plan on doing a required AHEC rotation in August for Indian Health. Although I still have much of 3rd year ahead of me, I am heavily leaning to anesthesia so far. I plan on doing a sub-I in september. First question - is september too late (ie should i swtich my ahec to sept. and do the sub-i in august - does it even matter) At my school (an I'm sure most others as well), I'm required to do 2 sub-I's. Is it advantageous to do both in medicine or 1 med and surg? (as far as knowledge is concerned - not padding the whole CV per se) Thanks in advance!

August or September are fine for the anesthesia sub I's. The earlier you do it, the more time you have to hound your profs for LOR's.

I would do two medicine sub I's for knowledge purposes, but the surgery sub I may give you some procedures. Totally up to you.

Hey - the word around our school (I go to Maryland too) is to do one Sub-I in the ICU and one in medicine - maybe we can schedule ours together (but I think I'm going to do mine in August)

Members don't see this ad :)
you may want to consider doing your anesthesia month a little earlier just to make sure you like it.

thanks for the replies. i'm trying to get quite a bit of exposure this year to help solidify my decision.