submit eras now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cptnplanetdc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm confused...
ERAS says that you can certify to programs starting July 15th. What does that mean? Are we supposed to be done with the application and send it out by yesterday? I keep seeing the date of Sept 1st - what is that? I know Dean's letters go out Nov 1st and everyone says submit the application before then but do they mean ASAP as in now since July 15th was yesterday? How do I get USMLE to send my scores? And should I have them do that before I get my step 2 score back? Where am I supposed to learn all of this info? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

cptnplanetdc said:
I guess I'm confused...
ERAS says that you can certify to programs starting July 15th. What does that mean? Are we supposed to be done with the application and send it out by yesterday? I keep seeing the date of Sept 1st - what is that? I know Dean's letters go out Nov 1st and everyone says submit the application before then but do they mean ASAP as in now since July 15th was yesterday? How do I get USMLE to send my scores? And should I have them do that before I get my step 2 score back? Where am I supposed to learn all of this info? Thanks.

july 15 is the date for DOs applying to osteopath internships. for the rest of us, it's sept 1st. check out eras website, under "timelines and deadlines". there is a manual you can download with all the info you'll need on the process....everything is on the website....http://www.aamc.org/students/eras

cptnplanetdc said:
Where am I supposed to learn all of this info? Thanks.

From your school. We had 3 or 4 class meetings between March and August to go over this stuff because it's not necessarily straightforward. Talk to you Registrar or Dean's Office.

BE (now PE)

cptnplanetdc said:
I guess I'm confused...

July 15th is the first day you can submit your application as an idependent applicant or fellowship applicant. If you are applying to allopathic programs, the program directors will not begin to download your application until Sept. 1. Therefore, you are not late. Even if you are applying to osteopathic programs, you are not late since the first day they download apps is July 15th. You don't get USMLE to send your scores. You request on your eras application for a copy of your USMLE transcript. Eras will charge you a fee for this which will be added to the total of your bill, but will get the transcript from nbme for you and submit a copy to all programs you are applying to. It will also give you an option to release your step IIs as soon as they become available automatically to programs. You can either choose to do so, or choose to see your score first, in which case you will have to go back online to eras and request your step II scores to be sent to the program after you have viewed them first. Your application should ideally be in, but not necessarily complete (awaiting LOR or Dean's letter) before sept. 1 in order to have more options in terms of scheduling your interviews and even getting more interviews. Peace out.