Submit primary when?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guydudcl371

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have already taken the MCAT and my application is complete (all of my letters have been compiled as well) however I am retaking the MCAT because my first score was way too low (I was ill on the day I took it, lucky me!), and based on my practice tests I know that I can score significantly higher. Should I submit now (I am retaking mid-August)? I'm worried about being rejected before my higher score is available...

Members don't see this ad.

Now. Only submit to a school or two that don't have cut-offs (not like Tobias, unless that's what you're into). Getting the primary submitted quickly is the best thing to do.

So I have already taken the MCAT and my application is complete (all of my letters have been compiled as well) however I am retaking the MCAT because my first score was way too low (I was ill on the day I took it, lucky me!), and based on my practice tests I know that I can score significantly higher. Should I submit now (I am retaking mid-August)? I'm worried about being rejected before my higher score is available...

It's a tough choice and will depend on how the rest of your application looks. With good grades, etc...but in general you're better off applying early and informing the COM that you are retesting. An MCAT in mid-August will but your score out end of Septemberish (if I remember right) and by then who knows how many other applicants will be ahead of you.

Submit the primary ASAP. Period.

The schools you applied to can always be updated later.