Submit secondaries with delayed mcat retake.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jennav

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was supposed to take the mcat on the 20th of june so I submitted the aacom application on the 11th of june and I submitted the amcas application on the 22nd of june. I did this because I was hoping that my mcat score would be posted by the time my applications were processed and I turned in my secondaries. I unfortunately wasnt able to take my test on the 20th and it has been postponed til the 13th of july. I got a 27 previously and I have a 3.8cGPA and a 3.7sGPA. I am getting around 33-34 on e-mcat practice tests. My million dollar question is if I should turn in the aacom secondaries now or wait til my new mcat score is in august? I am sure I will get amcas secondaries before also. Will schools discount me with a 27 and not give me interviews?
Thanks in advance! :)
This was done on my phone so sorry for typos.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends how you feel you did. If you know you mirrored your practice scores, then you should be ok for your 32+ MCAT. I would take the MCAT, don't worry about secondaries now, and stay focused on that for the time being.

After your test, work on your secondaries. You'll have a month, which is more than enough time if you use your time wisely. If you feel you did well, submit them while you wait for your score so you don't have to worry about them later.

Or, just write all the essays you will need to write for the schools you're applying to and then when you get your MCAT back you can submit all of them on the same day if you did well, or forgo those secondaries if you did poorly.

27 isn't amazing, but it's also not bad. You should have marked you were re-taking your MCAT when you submitted your primary.Schools won't discount you with a 27, but some may not grant you an interview unless you bring your score up. They'll wait for the score before granting you an interview invite.