Submitted Yesterday. Need Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyro45

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.4 undergrad GPA with a 3.8 in a great SMP. I submitted yesterday, it was the soonest I could get it in after studying for the MCAT.

I took the MCAT July 18th. I figure by the time those scores come back, my application will be close to verified.

I only sent my application to one school, so that I could get it verified, and if my MCAT doesn't come back the way I like it I wouldn't have wasted a ton of money. I was scoring pretty decently on practice tests. Hoping for above a 510 on the real deal.

With that being said, do you think my application is super late? I've already started pre-writing secondaries. I have some good EC's - lots of leadership roles, clinical work, employment, and shadowing. Not much research, but my advisor who sits on admission committees says its not a big deal, and I will be starting with a lab next month.

What do you think?

EDIT EDIT: MY MCAT SCORE IS BACK. Got a 512. Am I good to go?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't have the chart from last year handy, but it will probably take 4-5 weeks to get verified at this point. That puts you at the first week of September. If you submit every single one of your secondaries the day you are verified you will be borderline "late" but I don't think fatally so. There's nothing you can do about this now, so just go forward as quickly as possible and make the decision to submit secondaries or not when your MCAT comes in. Prewriting everything is your best bet right now, so it's good you're doing it.

I can't say this won't affect your chances, but I don't think it will kill them either.

If you can be really diligent about prewriting, then you can just make it in. You will be a tad late though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have the chart from last year handy, but it will probably take 4-5 weeks to get verified at this point. That puts you at the first week of September. If you submit every single one of your secondaries the day you are verified you will be borderline "late" but I don't think fatally so. There's nothing you can do about this now, so just go forward as quickly as possible and make the decision to submit secondaries or not when your MCAT comes in. Prewriting everything is your best bet right now, so it's good you're doing it.

I can't say this won't affect your chances, but I don't think it will kill them either.

People submitting at this time last year were getting verified in around ~20 days, no? First week of September seems way overboard.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2014-2015-amcas-verification-thread.1074177/page-16

The secondary prompts are available on SDN. Write them while you are being verified. As soon as you get the secondary invitation, copy/paste your answers in to become complete ASAP.

If you get rejected pre-secondary at a given school, you wasted some time, but this process is full of rejection anyway.

MCAT score came back. I got a 512.
Got verified yesterday.

What do you guys think.

I have the approx. the same undergrad and SMP GPA (from top med school/program) with as you and I have two IIs (OOS and not the school I did my SMP at) and one reject so far (all secondaries complete before august). 514 MCAT. As long as you have solid ECs and applied broadly, you should be set :)