Submitting a Verified Application Early August

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reads2Grow

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Long story short: My primary is sent in and verified to a "throwaway" school. I took the MCAT yesterday, and do not feel good about it at all (this is not dramatized, I definitely know I did not perform well and have taken many FL's so I have a good idea). I will get my score back July 7th. Would taking the MCAT again on July 18th where I would receive my score August 3rd too late for this application cycle? Should I do the retake July 7th?

I know I didn't do as well as I know I can because 1. I didn't get through one CARS section (which I had paced well on all of my practices and nerves must have gotten to me) 2. I don't feel good about CP because I was beyond flustered because of the situation I was in right before the test. These aren't excuses though, I know I didn't do what I needed to to perform my best. In hindsight, I wish I had voided my score and retaken it the next date.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

It would not be too late to get a score back in August. You would be able to receive secondaries by mid August and still have time to get them submitted by mid September. That being said, a common error I see among 2x+ test takers is retaking the MCAT too soon after an initial exam. This isn’t to say don’t retake it but you need to be sure that your first attempt was a fluke and your second attempt is a significant improvement. Should the second attempt be similar to the first it confirms the validity of the score.

Reactions: 1 user
First, you never know how you performed on the exam until the score is out. I've heard stories after stories about how they bombed their MCAT but still receive a decent score. Regardless, if you think you can significantly improve your performance by correcting what went wrong during the exam, I do believe it wouldn't hurt to take the exam again. However, if you receive a similar score as your first performance, that could be very risky.

I'm on the exact same boat as you. I'm planning to take the second one in early August to make sure I have enough time to prep for it and not risking a lower/similar second score. Hope all goes well for you too!!

Getting your score back August 3rd would not be too late for this cycle, especially with covid throwing a wrench in everything this summer.

But be careful, only retake it if you are confident that you will do better. Taking it twice in quick succession and receiving similar scores suggests bad judgement on your part to adcoms.