Submitting Engineering Courses with BPCM GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Medtech9

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from a top undergrad engineering school a few years ago. I am starting a post bacc program to fulfill some of the prereq requirements I have left and boost my GPA.

I was hoping someone knew more about how med schools read your transcript to identify which courses count towards your BPCM GPA. I assume that they don't keep a record of every course listing from every undergraduate institution. Are the BPCM courses self-reported/identified?

I have a lot of courses that fall under an engineering title, but that I would like to apply as statistics, higher level physics, or higher level chemistry. Including some/all of these courses would boost my science GPA, as I did get a C in one of the intro courses that would definitely count as BPCM.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated from a top undergrad engineering school a few years ago. I am starting a post bacc program to fulfill some of the prereq requirements I have left and boost my GPA.

I was hoping someone knew more about how med schools read your transcript to identify which courses count towards your BPCM GPA. I assume that they don't keep a record of every course listing from every undergraduate institution. Are the BPCM courses self-reported/identified?

I have a lot of courses that fall under an engineering title, but that I would like to apply as statistics, higher level physics, or higher level chemistry. Including some/all of these courses would boost my science GPA, as I did get a C in one of the intro courses that would definitely count as BPCM.

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!
They can be classified as BPCM if you designate it in AMCAS. They are generally pretty generous on how you classify it, as long it's not basketweaving or something. All of my engineering classes that were remotely science related were accepted. AMCAS has to approve of your classification though just remember that.

AACOMAS will count engineering classes as part of their BCP calculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone for the replies. This is very helpful! So, just to clarify, as part of the common app, AMCAS will review your selected BPMC couresework and approve/disprove their classification before you are able to submit an application? Does this process take very long?