Cardboard101

2+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2015
Status
Medical Student
How big of a difference is it submitting your application in July as opposed to Late August/Early September? I plan on retaking a class during the summer and grades won't be out until August 24th.

Is there a clear advantage to submitting in July?

IslandStyle808

Akuma residency or bust!
7+ Year Member
Aug 5, 2012
Depends on stats. If you are non-competitive, then yes it is a world of difference. 1) Because it takes far longer to get interviews vs. people with higher stats 2) By the time you get an interview you will now be up against guys who could not make it MD with beefed up stats. It is a domino effect.

The more competitive you are, the less of an issue it is. If you are competitive, then even an October application is fine. The only problem would be having less time choosing your schools and having to pay the deposit sooner (especially after December).

jwilliams1993

OMS-II
2+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Apply as soon as you can. This is my second year applying and the one piece of advice I give everyone is to apply as soon as humanly possible. Every day you don't submit is a waste, in my opinion. Remember that you can always send in updates!

Reactions: IslandStyle808
Oct 27, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How big of a difference is it submitting your application in July as opposed to Late August/Early September? I plan on retaking a class during the summer and grades won't be out until August 24th.

Is there a clear advantage to submitting in July?
Schools start interviewing their applicants in late August to early September so if you get your application in as early as possible you get an interview and then a decision as early as possible. If you get an offer, you can relax for the rest of the year in anticipation of the hardest four years of your life.

The only downside is that the some schools give you a very small amount of time to decide to accept an offer or not if you get in which can make things difficult, some schools give you as little as two weeks to send your deposit, some give you four months. So lets say your first choice school accepts you later than your second or third choice school but you already sent your deposit to the other school, you forfeit that money. Deposits for DO schools are very large sums of money and its not easy for most students to get that money.